VMware Cloud Community
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vSphere 5.5 Update 2, edit VMs using vSphere client and hardware version 10?

In the release notes for vSphere 5.5 Update 2 I see this. Is this true? If so, it seems like good news for those who have been forced to use the web client to edit VMs when the hardware version was raise to 10

Unable to edit settings for virtual machines with hardware version 10 using the vSphere client

When you attempt to perform the Edit Settings operation using the vSphere Client (C# Client) in a virtual machine with hardware version 10 (vmx-10), the attempt fails with the following error message:

You cannot use the vSphere client to edit the settings of virtual machines of version 10 or higher. Use the vSphere Web Client to edit the settings of this virtual machine.

This issue is resolved in this release

0 Kudos
4 Replies
blabarbera
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That will be very nice indeed.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, that's true. Btw. you can use the new vSphere Client to manage already existing v5.5 hosts, i.e. no need to upgrade the ESXi hosts to take advantage of the new vSphere Client.

André

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If it is true then I think that VMware finally got the message of how bad the web client really is

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Another announcement from VMworld can be found at e.g. http://up2v.nl/2014/08/27/what-is-new-in-vsphere-6-0/

The vSphere Client (the C# one installed on Windows) will remain available in vSphere 6.0. According to VMware vSphere 6.0 will be the last release having C# client support. ...

André

0 Kudos