VMware Cloud Community
VirtualMattCT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere 5.5 Update 1 - losing ScratchConfig after update

vSphere 5.5 (gold) with HP image from September 2013 works perfectly fine.  When I apply the U1 update via VUM or with the HP 5.1 U1 update ISO, the hosts will not keep their scratch config configuration.  Anyone else seeing this behavior?  Booting from USB/SD and scratch is redirected to a shared datastore (FCoE, if it matters).  Thanks - any thoughts appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

How many you have storage paths on your ESXi?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you rebooting after the update?  If so, try running the following command before rebooting.

/sbin/auto-backup.sh

0 Kudos
VirtualMattCT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nothing I tried really fixed it.  Opened a SR with VMware and they couldn't figure it out either.  We settled on using the syslog.global.logDir variable as a "work around".  The tech refused to work on it further because they don't "root-cause" support issues and in his opinion this was satisfactory...  I guess that's debatable.

I would personally keep an eye on 5.5U1 before going wild with it.

0 Kudos
jsprinkleISG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm seeing this too, current HP-customized ESXi 5.5 U1. HP Blade booting from flash, pointing scratchConfig to FCoE datastore. I haven't dug into the logs or anything yet.

0 Kudos
Blackburn
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing this too in 5.5U1, but only using FCoE with HP Gen8 blades using Broadcom CNAs (534FLB). It's not occuring on HP G7/Gen8 blades with Emulex CNAs (554FLB) using FCoE, or G7/Gen8 blades using FC HBAs.

To track down which update is causing the issue I installed one of the affected blades using HP 5.5 VMware-ESXi-5.5.0-1331820-HP-5.72.27-Feb2014.iso where the scratch config is working. I then updated one VIB at a time from the update-from-esxi5.5-5.5_update01.zip bundle and it's the VMware_bootbank_esx-base_5.5.0-1.15.1623387 vib causing the issue. It's still working in the 1474528 build from december so it seems something has changed in esx base between the 1474528 and the update1 build 1623387.

I have a case open with vmware and I'll post here if there are any updates to the case.

0 Kudos