VMware Cloud Community
Oubliette
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 5.5 - I'm I wrong in feeling cheated?

We've always used vSphere client as we only have 3 hosts (with local storage) so never felt the need for vCentre.  We use vSphere standard (so the paid for version) and are just migrating onto new hosts running 5.5 (again we'll be left with only 3 hosts when all is done).

What gripes me is the fact that to make full use of 5,5 (i.e., hardware version 10) you are being forced down the vCentre route and for a SMB the extra cost of having to buy a vCentre server sticks in my throat considering we buy software assurance for vSphere.

Am I the only one who feels a bit hard done by here?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

Just my $0.02 here - but without vCenter you would be hard pressed to use many of the features of VM Version 9 and VM Version 10.

The one thing we could all potentially use is single-extent-VMFS larger than 2TB and VMDK's larger than 2TB. In 5.5, these can both be created with vmkfstools at the command-line VMware KB: Support for virtual machine disks larger than 2 TB in VMware ESXi 5.5

It is no secret that VMware has been plowing ahead with the needs of its largest clients in mind, and some of the SMB clients have had to take their lumps, but I don't think you need to invest in vCenter yet. Besides, just about everyone agrees; the web-client is useful, but sucks - and we avoid using it when we can.

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos
DerekShaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm with you in the "feeling cheated" category.

That being said, I am in the smallest of small business markets, but the benefits of virtualization have been tremendous for them. The biggest client runs two esxi servers (and numerous desktops). I can only describe my use of esxi as "ghettoVMware" (with apologies to Willam Lam).  Nobody in my client base has needed anything more than the free esxi hypervisor, and some ingenuity (like William's) and general sysadmin skills.

My gripe is not about not being able to access the hardware version 10 features, it's how the vm's become unmanageable if they get upgraded.

There are no meaningful benefits for my clients to have all those features, so the cost of acquiring them is a complete waste, except that we may end up painted into a corner.  We could end up with a system where we can't manage a VM, and we can't license our way out of the problem either, apparently.

If I understand all that I've read (which is doubtful), even if we license a vCenter whatever (if that's what we need to get the "vSphere web client"), we won't actually be able to manage the esxi 5.5 host with it -- we'd have to do some downtime/migration/rebuild activity to bring them into the licensed whatever.

There is a variant of Hanlon's Razor at play here -- "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".  At first it just seemed stupid. It's now been more than a year, and a second "point release" of esxi (5.1 -> 5.5) without a change, despite some extensive commentary and requests from the community, so stupidity is losing its explanatory power.

Although, VMware is getting to be more and more like Microsoft/Oracle et al. so, perhaps it is just stupidity. PDF available here.

In any event, the situation pushes this extensive user of vmware products to look at other, less dangerous tools.

0 Kudos
srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

At a minimum they should prevent the free version of ESXi from accepting a command to upgrade a VM to a version that can't be managed without a license.  Second, the web client is really a big step backward.  I'm a small I/T consulting business and I have the minimal essentials package.  In addition to it being slow and missing basic abilities, such as being able to self refresh status, it also uses up a tremendous amount of resources in the environment where the essentials package is typically used.  I have one "real" server (a five year old Dell 2970) and another self built whitebox running ESXi that I have in my vacation home which serves as my offsite backup.  The vcenter server appliance used up 8gb of RAM in my 32gb server and forced me to upgrade the memory to 48gb (I have since manged to trim it down to 5gb with various unsupported tweaks).  That's a lot of time and expense for a small business such as mine versus the previous client which used no server resources and performed far better.

0 Kudos