VMware Cloud Community
eleganc567
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 5.1 Replication

I am working on a solution for one of my customer and evaluting SRM 5.1 with Vsphere Replication 5.1 against array based replication.  Would like to know

1.)  How many ESX servers can I protect using vSphere 5.1 replication

2.) what are pros and cons of using vSphere 5.1 against Array based replication.  I understand that RDM,snapshots and FT VMs can't be replicated using vSpere 5.1 replicator.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eleganc567
Contributor
Contributor

any ideas?

0 Kudos
Yps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My thought abouts it:

Pros:

Less complex, can have different storage vendors on different sites.

Can replicate more granualar, per vm instead of datastore

Can replicate to local disk on DR site (cheap solution)

Free, some SAN vendors want extra money for replication.

Cons:

15 minuts / replication at minium.

Only VMDK files, not "iscsi luns" directly mapped to a VM

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'd suggest to move this in the Site Recovery Manager community to receive better response

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There is my short list of VMware vSphere Replication limitations. It’s more like a comparison with 3-party products rather than with array-based replication. Nevertheless, I hope you’ll find this information useful.

So, here it’s:

• Unlike other 3-party products, vSphere Replication provides single restore point only. And it seems to be the major limitation.
• No failback option available.
• No traffic compression.
• No traffic throttling.
• No network customization (network mapping).
• No re-IP upon failover.
• Basic VSS quiescing (no application-aware processing, which is necessary for replicating VM running VSS-aware applications (such as Active Directory, Microsoft SQL, Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint), since this functionality guarantees backup transactional consistency of such VMs).
• Works within single vCenter only.

Thanks.

0 Kudos