VMware Cloud Community
showmanlkz
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 4 licensing for AMD 16-core Interlagos chip

Hi guys,

My organization is currently using vSphere 4 Enterprise Plus. We are planning to buy more servers equit with AMD's new 16-core Interlagos chip.

As we know in vSphere 4 Enterprise Plus, a single license can be assigned to a single socket with up to 12-core.

I am wondering if that means I will have two Enterprise Plus licenses for one Interlagos chip, or, the additional 4 cores are going to be wasted?

Any opition is welcomed.

Thanks

Derrick

0 Kudos
5 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

For 4.1 that is indeed what it means. You will need two licenses. Or you can wait for 5.0 to drop and use that instead as there is no core limit. However depending on the amount of vRAM you plan on using their might be an additional license required as well.

Duncan

Yellow-Bricks.com

vSphere 5 Clustering Deepdive - eBook | Paper

0 Kudos
showmanlkz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

No plan for v5 in near future yet. So let's say my new server is four sockets, with Interlagos chip, there will be total 64 cores.

So I will need 6 licenses for that server? Am I correct?

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert

Hi

Derrick Lin wrote:

Thanks,

No plan for v5 in near future yet. So let's say my new server is four sockets, with Interlagos chip, there will be total 64 cores.

So I will need 6 licenses for that server? Am I correct?

Nope, you need 4 license (cause you have 4 sockets) but in the system you will see max 48 cores( 4x12 ) 12 is a maximum cores number supported per socket in license Ent+

Artur

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos
showmanlkz
Contributor
Contributor

So we have got two different answers in here Smiley Wink

Although no one has a 16-core CPU on hand to verify that now, I am sure there must be the case that using vSphere 4 Standard or Enterprise (6 cores per CPU limit) on 12-core chip? I hope the license assignment method should be the same for 16-core chip.

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert

Derrick Lin wrote:

So we have got two different answers in here Smiley Wink

Although no one has a 16-core CPU on hand to verify that now, I am sure there must be the case that using vSphere 4 Standard or Enterprise (6 cores per CPU limit) on 12-core chip? I hope the license assignment method should be the same for 16-core chip.

Well ... I don't think so  it will ever work Smiley Happy

Max 12 cores per CPU is a software limitation, you can't assign two different type of license to the same host and you can't assign more licenses than sockets number on your host

Cheers

Artur

Visit my blog

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos