VMware Cloud Community
Diranged
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 4 + ESXi 4: Image using an RDM can't migrate to a different host, RDM map held locally?...

I've got two ESXi servers running 4.0 and a vSphere server (4.0) managing them. These two ESXi hosts can see a LUN on a NetApp FAS2020 and they see it as the same device (if i change the name on one host, its automatically changed on the other host). I additionally have a larger NFS volume that I use for my VMDK files, and this is on both ESXi hosts. All of my hosts use the NFS datastore for their primary disks, and several use it for a secondary disk.

I have a specific host that needs to use an iSCSI LUN from the NetApp for its secondary disk. I added it as a Raw Device Mapping (tried both physical and virtual), but when I go through the setup it requires that I store a LUN Mapping file on a datastore. Unfortunately the only datastore it provides as an option is the LOCAL DISK of the ESXi host. As soon as you boot the system up and try to migrate it, it fails because the second vServer cannot reach the mapping file that is located on the first vServer.

What am I doing wrong here ... why can't I store the RDM Map file with the rest of this virtual hosts VMDK and SWAP files?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BigHug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think it is because that the pointer file needs a block device. You can check KB for the detail. And yes, you will need another lun (vmware type) and create a VMFS on it to store the pointer files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BigHug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mapping file can't be on the NFS datastore. If you place it under the local datastore, you can't vmotion the vm. Since you have iscsi, just create a datastore on the iscsi lun. Then place mapping file on it.

0 Kudos
Diranged
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok... so rather than trying to get into WHY you cant store the RDM map on an NFS drive, let me ask you this: /vol/mail is a volume on our netapp. /vol/mail/mail0 is a LUN inside that volume that we're mounting. That LUN is a raw LVM image -- it needs to be mounted as-is. Do I need to create ANOTHER LUN? I have a second LUN thats not being used that does not show up as an available datastore -- but it hasnt been formatted yet, so that kind of makes sense I guess.

0 Kudos
BigHug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think it is because that the pointer file needs a block device. You can check KB for the detail. And yes, you will need another lun (vmware type) and create a VMFS on it to store the pointer files.

0 Kudos
Diranged
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sure enough, creating a second LUN just to store RDM Mapping Files solved my issue. Seems stupid, but hey ... it works!

0 Kudos