VMware Cloud Community
kaashifVTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 4.1 Essentail Plus LIC for Corporate

hi,

This is a purely a vspehre 4.0 licensing related question:

one of my corporate customer wants to go for Virtualization and due to budget constraints they are considering to go for Essential Plus Licenses.

Customer is looking to buy around 26- Essential Plus Licenses.

As per my observation Essential Plus is only for Remote or regional offices, so there must be some limitations, I have read a little bit to it and found it like that:

- you cannot use more than 3 x hosts with Essentail plus at the same site or in other words it can be managed only by vCenter Server Foundation.

- you need to get a new vCenter Server Foundation to manage more than 3 hosts, so If we have 16 host we may need to get and install 6 vcenter server ( this seems quite stange to me)

Any Idea about my perception...

Regards

Kaashif

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Well, it's true.

Essentials plus is not meant for use with 16 hosts.

And yes, Essentials plus is limited to 3 ESX(i) hosts per vCenter.

I would look into vSphere Advanced or Enterprise instead. Depending on the quantity, you might get a good discount.

VCP3/VCP4/VTSP/VSP/MCTS: Virtualization

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your perceptions are correct - I believe you can buy a seperate standard vCenter license and manage the 6 essentials license from there - but I am not sure if you will receie an error by having the vCenter server recognize that there are 6 standard license running in the enevironment -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Well, it's true.

Essentials plus is not meant for use with 16 hosts.

And yes, Essentials plus is limited to 3 ESX(i) hosts per vCenter.

I would look into vSphere Advanced or Enterprise instead. Depending on the quantity, you might get a good discount.

VCP3/VCP4/VTSP/VSP/MCTS: Virtualization

0 Kudos