VMware Cloud Community
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSpere Client and Virtual Infrastructure client compatibility on Windows 7 64 bit

I need to manage either an ESXi 3.5 and and ESXi 4.1 hosts from a Windows 7 64 bit client, bue I suspect there is some kind of incompatibility between clients.

First, I downloaded from my ESXi 3.5.0 server the VMware Infrastructure Client 2.5 and I installed it on my Windows 7 64 bit client.

It is installed as a 32bit application and it works fine. I can manage VMs and open the console of any VM.

Second, I downloaded from my ESXi 4.1 server the VMware vSpere Client 4.1.0 and installed it on the same Windows 7 64 bit client.

At this point if I click on the VMware vSpere Client and I attempt to connect to the ESXi 3.5.0 server it works fine, but if I try to access the console of any VM I get a white window with no option to manage the VM.

If I connect to the ESXi 4.1 server and try to open the console of any VM it works fine.

• Shoud I specitfy any parameter while installing any of the two clients?
  • Should I enter any parameter while launching any of the two clients?
  • Should I install any 64 bit specific version?

Is there any other action to make the 2 clients work on the same Windows 7 64 bit client?

By the way, I have either a Windows XP 32 bit and a Windows 7 32 bit boxes with both clients installed and working...

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PatchAddams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi marius,

Try this one: VMWare KB1026153

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Marius,

I would recommend to remove all the vSphere clients from your PC and after that do a new install of only the latest version. This will prevent any compatibility issues between the different versions. If you use this newly installed vSphere client to connect to any older vSphere vCenter Server or ESX server, it will automatically install the older vSphere client versions it needs. From the latest version of the client you are then able to connect to the older ESX servers as well.

Regards, Robert

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your message.

I removed both clients and re-installed only the newer vShpere 4.1 client.

After installing I attempted to connect to my old ESXi 3.5 server and the vSphere client connected to the server, downloaded the old Virtual Infrastructure client and installed it.

At this point I see the same problem I reported in my previous post: I can manage the inventory but I cannot use the console to manage any VM: if I start the console I get a white window.

Can I perform any other action?

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
PatchAddams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi marius,

Try this one: VMWare KB1026153

0 Kudos
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It works!

Thank you very much.

Let me ask a further information: in the KB article you suggested ( http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026153 ) I read:

"To download the clients, download the appropriate version of vCenter Server from the VMware Download Center.":

how can I just download the clients, without downloading and installing the whole of vCenter Server?

Regards

marius

0 Kudos