VMware Cloud Community
Nehemoth
Contributor
Contributor

vShere 5.5 can find any drive on Proliant BL465c G7

First the background

We have an infrastructure of 5 VMware Hosts running vSphere 4.1, last week we create a new vCenter with 5.5 and attached our hosts.

This weekend we upgraded 4 for our 5 servers to ESXi 5.5 and everything went smooth (Except some servers running Ubuntu 11.04 which cannot be move it via VMotion, but that's another case).

Everything went OK except for one server which for some reason cannot see the Local hard drive (remote to VMware because is a SAS) or the Datastores available.

So of course, I reset the Bios to default, reset the HBA's to default, upgraded the BIOS, upgraded ILO, I changed some power settings, changed some processor settings and I did everything in my power to solve the problem but nothing change the fact that vSphere 5.5 did not see any drive. Until this point, the 4.1 installation was still functional.

After that the only thing that occur to us was try with vSphere 5.1, everything went just find and 5.1 was installed, then via update manager we try to install 5.5.

At first failed asking for a reboot, then went just OK until 27 or so percent with failed again, this time with the error below (and attached image).

[quote]

An error has occurred while parsing the installation script

error:file:///ks.cfg:line 3: error (see log for more info): could not find boot partition[/quote]

Someone knows something about this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I would suspect a corrupt filesystem. try a reinstall of ESX

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
mooreka
Contributor
Contributor

my guess is the hp 5.5 drivers did not install correctly.  please run the following to see what image you are using:

esxcli software profile get

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Nehemoth
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using the HP image VMware-ESXi-5.5.0-1331820-HP-5.71.3-Sep2013.iso

As I said before, I have another 4 servers, 3 of them which are exactly the same model which went smoothly.

0 Kudos
thhg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fixed.

I had the same problem

I boot my ESXi systems from a USB Flash Drive connected to a USB port located on the inside of the server

The issue here i that ESXi did not recognize (ie - detect) my internal USB port OR any of the 4 USB ports on the back of the server.  It was able to detect the 2 USB ports on the FRONT of the server.

I moved my partially upgraded USB flash drive, put it in the front USB port and it finished the upgrade process seamlessly.

My setup always worked with 5.x.  Not sure what has changed with 5.5 but very annoying.

You can verify the USB issue in your own system by booting up the 5.5 install CD and seeing what USN ports it detects.  You can move the USB drive from port to port and refresh (F5) to see what ports it can find

Hopes this helps someone.

Steve

0 Kudos