VMware Cloud Community
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRAM

Hi,

we have a number of servers, vsphere 5.1 ent plus is installed.  i think i know the vram entitlement but just wanted to make sure i am right in my thinking.

if you have 1 server with 2 processors both licensed (ent plus) this would entitle you to 192 vram on that host.  if you had two servers with 2 processors both fully licensed this would allow 192 x 2 in the pool?

is that right?  if so then if i added more than 192 on both host would vsphere just not use the RAM?

thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vRAM licensing was dropped when vSphere 5.1 was released.  This is from the licensing document for 5.1 -

Q: Does the new VMware vSphere 5 licensing model – per-CPU
without limitation on the number of VMs, cores or amount
of physical RAM – apply to both vSphere 5.0 and vSphere 5.1?

A: Yes. The VMware vSphere 5 licensing model applies to both
vSphere 5.0 and 5.1 customers.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vRAM licensing was dropped when vSphere 5.1 was released.  This is from the licensing document for 5.1 -

Q: Does the new VMware vSphere 5 licensing model – per-CPU
without limitation on the number of VMs, cores or amount
of physical RAM – apply to both vSphere 5.0 and vSphere 5.1?

A: Yes. The VMware vSphere 5 licensing model applies to both
vSphere 5.0 and 5.1 customers.

Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I agree with Dave, vRAM licensing was dropped from 5.1 GA and 5.0U2.

If you are using 5.0 GA or U1, please upgrade to 5.0 U2 then you will not be able to see anything is related to vRAM licensing Model.

If you are using 5.1 GA/EP1, i would like to suggest you, please upgrade your setup to 51U1a.

Thanks,

Atul

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks, makes sense, i am reading a vspere 5.0 book, book was right at time of publish.

thanks

0 Kudos