VMware Cloud Community
Emusp
Contributor
Contributor

vRAM licensing capacity alert

Hi

I'm having this alert in vCenter saying "License capacity monitoring"  that won't go away.

When I check the Licensing report it shows that my Purchased capacity is 0.02GB vRAM?

We are running both vCenter and ESXi 5.0 U2.

As far as I know, vmware removed the vRAM license in both 5.0 and 5.1, but why I am getting this alert?

I have no trouble powering on VM's.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
17 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

vMware did remove the limitation, but maybe your version of vCenter / ESX still includes the limit, you should upgrade to the latest version or simply disable the alert.

0 Kudos
Emusp
Contributor
Contributor

It doesn't make sense.

Why would it say 0.02GB vRAM?

My hosts have 8 CPU's each. And with an enterprise license that is 64GB vRAM per. CPU

That will make total 512 vRAM available, right?

I think this is a bug!

0 Kudos
PhillyDubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I really wouldn't worry about it as it affects you none other than an alarm that can be ignored. Disable the alarm if you want. It would probably be a good idea to get on 5.1 😉

VCP5
0 Kudos
Tinto1970
Commander
Commander

I'm running vCenter 5.1b and today similar alert has appeared here too. Probably it's claiming about a standard cluster exceeding the "vRAM" limit :smileyplain:

--
Alessandro aka Tinto VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT 2023 | VMCE 2024 | vExpert 2024 | Veeam Legend
please give me a "Kudo" if you find my answer useful
www.linkedin.com/in/tinivelli
my blog: https://blog.tinivelli.com
0 Kudos
is99
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem

After upgrade to the latest 5.1U1 got this alert

Any idea if there is something I can do to fix it except ofcourse just disabling this alarm ?

0 Kudos
AllanHoward
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here, Upgraded vCenter yesterday from 5.1 to 5.1 Update 1. Says I'm using 4433685% of my purchased capacity of .01 GB of vRAM.   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I also have the same alert after going from 5.1 -> 5.1 Update 1. Has anyone got a fix yet?

0 Kudos
informability
Contributor
Contributor

Bump?  Anyone?  It is really difficult to accurately monitor servers that are constantly spewing overall health changed alerts because these need to be looked at carefully in case something else goes wrong.  This is getting pretty annoying.

0 Kudos
Tinto1970
Commander
Commander

Salve,

sarò fuori ufficio il 24 Maggio. In caso di necessità scrivere a ced.bologna@monrif.net

--
Alessandro aka Tinto VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT 2023 | VMCE 2024 | vExpert 2024 | Veeam Legend
please give me a "Kudo" if you find my answer useful
www.linkedin.com/in/tinivelli
my blog: https://blog.tinivelli.com
0 Kudos
PhillyDubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Open an SR with VMware and the alert can also be disabled.

VCP5
0 Kudos
informability
Contributor
Contributor

The alert cannot be disabled and that isn't a fix.  Opening a case is fine, but not the same level of expertise is given every time a case is opened and sometimes folks figure this out on their own, hence the forum thread.

0 Kudos
PhillyDubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm, I do have the ability to disable the alarm on my end -

http://i.imgur.com/A3KQXtC.png

I agree it isn't a fix to the real issue, but you did say this alarm is making it difficult to accurately monitor health statistics, so I was offering a solution to get the alert to stop nagging you. The best course of action, in my opinion, is to open a case if you wish for a resolution. Best of luck, wish I could help but I cannot recreate the issue myself.

VCP5
0 Kudos
PhillyDubs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check this out -

http://i.imgur.com/OK760Gr.png

Go to your license reporting page, select your version of vSphere that is throwing the alarm and then click "Edit..." and set the threshold to zero. Does the alarm stop?

VCP5
0 Kudos
informability
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the reply.  This is was I was looking for I think.  Unfortunately, it does not stop the licensing alerts.  I have 2 dual CPU physical servers (a Dell T610 and a Dell T620) licensed with vsphere essentials 5.1 running 1 instance of vcenter.  The licensing is ok, perhaps using 20GB RAM per server out of 32GB Physical in each server.  The servers are both running ESXi 5.1 U1 which is build 1065491.  In the event log for the vCenter object in my inventory, it complains with this:

vcenter (vCenter) status changed from green to red

info 5/23/2013 6:11:41 PM Health Service

License Services status changed from green to red

info 5/23/2013 6:11:41 PM Health Service

Then for no reason whatsoever approximately 10 minutes later:

vcenter (vCenter) status changed from red to green

info 5/23/2013 6:21:43 PM Health Service

License Services status changed from red to green

info 5/23/2013 6:21:43 PM Health Service

Neither server has the Dell customized ISO of vmware esxi 5.1U1 installed on it, and I am wondering if this has anything to do with it?

0 Kudos
Rodder404
Contributor
Contributor

Mine doesn't show an Edit link (5.1.0U1)

0 Kudos
informability
Contributor
Contributor

Upgraded both T610 and T620 servers to the latest Dell Customized build of ESXi 5.1 U1.  deployed vCenter appliance build 1065491 from scratch.  Added both ESXi servers to vCenter added license keys and applied them.  Still have licensing alerts.  Very frustrating!

0 Kudos
Emusp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Just want to give a quick update on how I "solved" the problem.

Well, there is really no problem. vmware removed the vRAM licensing.

Clear the alert in vcenter, and it should not appear again.

I'm still running 5.0 U2.

You can confirm that vmware removed the vRAM licensing by clicking on Licensing in vCenter, then click on the tab Reporting, and in the Time period drop down menu choose: Month to date, instead of 1 year.

When you choose Month to date the vRAM warning disappear.

See the attached screenshots:

vram.png

novram.png

0 Kudos