VMware Cloud Community
Dimitar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRAM Licence question

Hi,

I’m confused and trying to understand how this new ESX5i Licence will work in this scenario:

We have five ESX5i Standard Edition (Each Server has 4 CPU’s) the total amount of the memory for VM will be 96GB per ESX.

As I understood that Licences now are controlled on VCenter The total amount of the VRAM that we will have available for all VM’s will be 480GB

One of our Server is very powerful. It has 10 cores per CPU and 256 GB Memory and the other Servers are only 4 cores per CPU with 64 GB Memory

My question is: Can actually we run as many VM’s (Up to 256 GB for example), on the 10 cores Server and run for example VM’s only up to 32 GB on the Servers with 4 cores?

I believe VCenter counts how many VM are powered ON and how much RAM is in use in the pool in total and for example on one ESX used only 32 GB, in the other can used 256GB even both ESX Servers have Standard Licence.

It is matter not to go over 480 GB constant for 365 days?

Will appreciate any help.

Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottyyyc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's a pooled environment. You can run more VMs on one server and less on another. The licensing and vRAM is only counted for your entire environment, not individual servers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scottyyyc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's a pooled environment. You can run more VMs on one server and less on another. The licensing and vRAM is only counted for your entire environment, not individual servers.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

remember vRAM is licensed per physical socket.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

Dimitar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your quick responses!

0 Kudos