VMware Cloud Community
piedthepiper
Contributor
Contributor

vMotion vmknic is undefined - warning

So Guys,

I am getting this warning in my vmkernel.log file

VMotionUtil: 5242: 1459263112601239 😧 vMotion vmknic is undefined.  vMotion will attempt to proceed, but may not reach optimal performance

I get that, but I have a dedicated vmnic configured for vMotion, with fail-over to standby, the standby vmnic is used for management and vice versa.

So what is the actual issue, or am I missing something simple?

Cheers

vmotionissue.PNG

Same error on esxi 5.1 hosts and esxi 5.5u3b hosts we have here.

the vSwitch is set up with both vmnics as active and then the override is done on the vmkernel level

vMotion uses vmnic4 as active and vmnic0 as standby

Management uses vmnic0 as active and vmnic4 as standby

Network storage (which we dont use) has vmnic0 and 4 as active

They were originally set to active/active at the switch level and thats it, but we still got the same warning, and the documented way of getting rid of the warning is to dedicate a vmnic for vMotion which is what I have done?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

...  and the documented way of getting rid of the warning is to dedicate a vmnic for vMotion ...

I assjme you are referring to https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2074518

Anyway, if you don't use the NetworkStorage port group, you may try to either set vmnic4 to standby, or unused for it to see whether this helps.

André

0 Kudos
piedthepiper
Contributor
Contributor

yup thats the kb article

I have set Network Storage to have both vmnic0 and 4 as unused and the warning still remains

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you move the vmk to another vswitch? You'll get a warning about redundancy but I think vCenter is just complaining about sharing the bandwidth for all of those VMKs.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
piedthepiper
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I could do that, but then that means I get no management redundancy for the management vmkernel.

The reason I noticed it was that every so often a vmotion would fail, with no real error apart from the failed to resume on destination and the only viable lead is the vmknic is undefined

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Okay, so it's a test environment, you could always enable management on both VMKs with DNS records for both. Just for giggles, can you disable host monitoring in vCenter and then restart the management agents on your hosts and see if the error clears?

vSphere Documentation Center

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10034...

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos