VMware Cloud Community
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

vMotion via crossover cable?

Hi,

I have a two node ESXi 4.0 installation with vCenter I have configure the vMotion Switch and connected a crossover cable but the status of the network card is still down and I can't vmping from one node to the other using the vMotion IP addresses, any ideas?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would search the forums for other references to crossover cables. Why would you want to give up a NIC dedicated to VMotion when it could be used to add redundancy, management separation etc.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Did you add a VMkernel on both vSwitches of the ESXi Servers?

0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

I'm just testing my configuration and only have a small netgear hub.  When I do conect it to the hub the card comes up but before migration I get a warning stating that the vm will be powered off before migration.   I have added a VMkernal port to both hosts and enabled vMotion.

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert

Are your ESXi server the same hardware?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure your hosts have the same processor family (Both AMD or Both Intel) and they are enough similar that you can enable EVC if necessary. http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003212

0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

Completely the same.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure you have complied with all the requirements for vMotion. http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-esxi-4-1-embedded/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm search on vMotion.

0 Kudos
halibut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Both of the pNICs are gigabit?

Have you tried an alternate cable?  If the pNICs are gigabit a crossover cable is not required, a standard cat5e or greater cable would surfice as well.

Did you log onto the server and run a "vmkping" to the other computer's vmk1 vMotion IP?

It should work fine BTW.

C

0 Kudos
Rhidian
Contributor
Contributor

I have abandoned the use of the cross over cable and will make do with the limitations of my hub for now.

0 Kudos