VMware Cloud Community
alextsa
Contributor
Contributor

vMotion question after partial ESX hosts upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 in Cluster

Dear all

I have a question about vMotion after the I have upgrade one host from 5.0 to 5.1 in a cluster which has two hosts and hope the expert here can give me some advices.

Before I upgrade one of the ESX host in the cluster from 5.0 to 5.1, the vMotion run without any problem for the VM that are version 7 and 8.

I upgraded one of the ESX host in the cluster form 5.0 to 5.1 and I vMotion all VM from that host that need to be upgraded, then after the upgrade success, I try to vMotion all hosts from that 5.0 host to the new upgraded 5.1 to do the remaining upgrade and I have the below symptom

1. VM Version 7 Guest OS can be migrated without any problem

2. VM Version 8 Guest OS failed in the validation stage with the attached error

vMotion Problem.png

But when I try to shutdown the Guest OS and offline migrate from the 5.0 to 5.1 it is success and after we did action, the vMotion for that gues OS is working properly.

So, anyone here encounter this issue?

Best regards

Alex Tsang

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert

Each host is running on a different CPU family?

VCP-DCV, VCP-DT, VCAP-DCD, VSP, VTSP
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you scroll down in the message box you will see which features are expected but missing on the target host. Often such issues are caused by different host BIOS versions and/or settings. Please double check "VT-x" as well as "Execute Disable" are both enabled in the host's BIOS (assuming it's an Intel CPU). Ensure you power cycle the host after changing any of these settings, a simple reboot might no be sufficient!

The reason you are able to vMotion the VM when started on one host but not on the other is that the features exposed to the VM are determined at the time the VM is powered on. If the target host meets the VM's feature set vMotion is possible.

André

0 Kudos