ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  vMotion only works one direction

Posted Aug 04, 2009 02:30 PM

I have two identical Dell PowerEdge R710 servers running build 175625 of vSphere 4 with a vCenter server backing it. When I initate a vMotion (or when DRS initiates a vMotion) from box 2 to box 1, everything goes great. However, as of last week some time, I cannot vMotion from box 2 to box 3. I get the following error:

A General System error Occured: Migration failed while copying data. Not Supported

Every thing is up to date both on the hardware and software. Networking and vMotion config are identical between hosts. This worked for about a week before breaking for some reason I haven't been able to identify. Any pointers would be helpful.

• 2.  RE: vMotion only works one direction

Posted Aug 04, 2009 02:46 PM

Maybe your VM is in a crashed state.

Have you see this thread?

Andre

• 3.  RE: vMotion only works one direction

Posted Aug 04, 2009 03:06 PM

I just read through the thread, but it appears to at least be different then that in that I can vMotion from host 2 to host 1, but not from host 1 to host 2. This is using the same virtual machine on it's own iSCSI LUN. The thread also lists and update to ESX 3.5 which I would imaging would already be included in vSphere 4. It does certainly seem like an odd vMotion issue though.

• 4.  RE: vMotion only works one direction

Posted Aug 04, 2009 03:10 PM

can you try the below on one VM and see if it fixes it?

1. Power down the virtual machine.

2. Click the link to Edit Settings of the virtual machine.

3. Click the Options tab.

4. Select CPUID Mask under Advanced.

5. Click Advanced.

6. Click Reset All to Default.

7. Click OK.

8. Click OK again.

9. Power on the virtual machine and migrate.

• 5.  RE: vMotion only works one direction

Posted Aug 04, 2009 03:19 PM

Reset the CPUID to default. Started it up on Box 2, moved to box 1 was successful. Migration from box1 to box 2 still unsuccessful. When I do the migration I can see that status go to 10% almost instantly and the details show "Migrating the active state of the Virtual Machine" and that is when it fails.

• 6.  RE: vMotion only works one direction
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 04, 2009 03:31 PM

The most common issue sthat cause this type of problem are networking issues - confirm IP addresses on both vmotion vmkernel ports along with all networking parameters. Can you vmkping between the two hosts?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

• 7.  RE: vMotion only works one direction

Posted Aug 04, 2009 04:30 PM

Well you were right. Turns out there was a shadow Service Console setup on the vswitch I was using for vMotion. It showed up in the CLI but not the GUI. I removed it and everything is working fine again. Thanks a bunch.