VMware Cloud Community
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vMotion of 1 specific VM is stuck at 72 %

Hello,

i can do a vmotion of all my vms except one (an Microsoft exchange 2010-vm)

Migration of this vm was no problem in esxi 5.5, but is no stuck at 72% (see screenshot).

I can only break this migration by restarting the vcenter-services.

Why is the problem happening and what is the problem?

Thx

vmotion.JPG

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also attached the vmkernel.log !

0 Kudos
JLackman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have developed this same issue on multiple machines in 6.0.  They stall and die at 72%

0 Kudos
jdargie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same issue this morning with a View vm stuck at 72% for the past 19 hours.

0 Kudos
eddilimp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same Problem here. I have two VMs stucking at 72%. My ESXi hosts are on Version 6.0

Last days I had one VM for days in that Status, suddenly the Task disappeard and I couldn't migrate the VM anymore. The VM was a virtual Desktop so I decided to recompose it again. I was able to delete it from the view Manager, but on the storage the machine was still there. manually deleting Fails with error: connot delete file

0 Kudos
cashlatham
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue while upgrading my hosts from 5.5 to 6.0.  I had four VM's stuck at 72%, all of which were originating from the same 5.5 host.  I was able to stop the stuck migrations by restarting the management services on the host in question.  When the host reconnected to vcenter the VM's that were stuck were no longer in that hosts inventory.  I was then able to put the host into maintenance mode and continue my upgrades.  Out of 15 identical hosts, this was the only one that had this issue.  I have about 60 more to upgrade, so we will see if it reoccurs. 

0 Kudos
yamamoty
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I had same problem.

I try the following things , and I had solved.

1. move datastore

I think the virtual machine have mismatch datastore statement.

So I tried storage vMotion to another datastore, and back to original datastore.

After that , Some virtual machine solved vMotion problem.

2. use VSS

In my case , problem virtual machine use VDS, So , I migrate to VSS from VDS.

Some virtual machine solved vMotion problem.

I hope for your help

Thanks,

honeylay199
Contributor
Contributor

I faced the same problem at customer site and unfortunately it was production VM.

It was migrated by DRS then stuck at 72 % and couldn't cancel the migration task also.

Here is my resolution

Resolution : This issue is only possible to fix via login to the specific host where the vm is residing which you can find out on the summary page of the VM.

Run these commands via SSH to restart the mgmt agent

• /etc/init.d/hostd restart
    • /etc/init.d/vpxa restart

After restarting the Host will be lost connection and become responsive again and will connect to the vcenter.

After reconnecting the host in vCenter, the VM is fully operational.

Impact :There will be no impact on residing VM when you restart the management Agent on the host. Only current ongoing task like vMotion stops working and timeout error will popup.

RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

Use web client instead of VC-client or attach vmware.log for further investigation

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
joaorafaelassis
Contributor
Contributor

That works for me. Thanks

0 Kudos
lalitsharma
Contributor
Contributor

are these database VMs only in that said host or cluster?

0 Kudos
TraMed
Contributor
Contributor

Had this issue for the longest time, until I realized there was CPU and Memory Reservations on the VMs that where having issues.  Remove the reservation, migrate, re-apply reservations.

0 Kudos
rohanrob
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks , this work for me 🙂

0 Kudos