VMware Cloud Community
Mukz9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vMotion across ESXI 5.5 hosts

Hi,

I have a home lab set up with two ESXi hosts running on ESXi 5.5. In this set up, I am unable to migrate a VM from one host to another using vMotion as in the vMotion option window, the option for selecting the destination host is not available. For details, please refer to the screen shot attached. I've verified the following prerequisites for vMotion

Shared storage across the two ESXi hosts

VMkernel network enabled with vMotion on both the host

vMotion network on the both the host belongs to the same subnet

Both the ESXi host are licensed for vMotion

Privileges - I am using administrator account to login into the vSphere client, so I assume it should have the required privileges to perform vMotion?

Can someone please let me know if am missing anything here?

Thanks,

Muks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Praveenmna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

From the screenshot , I could see "change host" option available. Please let me know what exactly you are facing? also post the error message if you are getting any.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Praveen P Senior Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Mukz9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Praveen,

It is not about the change host option. After I select any of these options (change host, change datastore, change both host and datastore), the option to "select destination" does not appears and therefore am unable to select destination host onto which the VM needs to be migrated.

Thanks.

Muks

0 Kudos
vuzzini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Mukz9,

Are you able to click on Next and go to next screen (after selecting change host or change datastore or change both host and datastore option) ?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Sandeep Vuzzini Sr. DevOps Engineer
0 Kudos
Mukz9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Sandeep,

While I try and perform vMotion, after selecting the change host option, I don't see any option to click next. For details, please refer to the screen shot attached. Well, I would also expect to see the option to click next, but this appears to be a strange issue. Or may be  I am missing something very basic here Smiley Sad

Can you please assist?

Thanks,

Muks

0 Kudos
Praveenmna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could you please scroll down your window and take a screenshot?

The bottom of the window is not visible.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Praveen P Senior Support Engineer
0 Kudos
DanielOlofsson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting one.

The "Next" button is below you view.

Go fullscreen on the VM or choose "Change host" and press enter

0 Kudos