VMware Cloud Community
logiboy123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vMA and Syslog - Size Estimates

I'm currently working for a client with two major Datacenters; Northern and Southern. I need to send the ESXi host logs to a vMA in each Datacenter and I need to find out how much space to provision to the log drive on each vMA.

There are currently 14 hosts in the Northern datacenter and 16 in the Southern but this number could grow by a maximum of 8 per region. So the totals could get as high as 22 Nothern, 24 Southern.

I plan I doing the default logging type.

There is probably a sizing calculator around somewhere but I have not yet been able to find one. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From an ESXi host you can capture messages, hostd.log and vpxa.log.  

When you configure log capturing you can configure maxfilesize (default of 5 MB) and numrotation (default of 5 files).  So you would be looking at 75 MB per host.   For vCenter you capture vpxd.log so that will be 25 MB.

As mentioned it's a pretty easy thing to expand the storage space used by the vMA.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It works far better going East and West but you can still do North and South.

Will you be using the standard syslog server in vMA? You would do better with rsyslog or syslog-ng. With either of those you can choose what data to retain using filters. Both of them can write data to a database as well as to files. Do you have retention needs? It is easy to simply add vmdks that mount to the log directory and rotate them out when they get full.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm in New Zealand. Not the USA. 😉

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From an ESXi host you can capture messages, hostd.log and vpxa.log.  

When you configure log capturing you can configure maxfilesize (default of 5 MB) and numrotation (default of 5 files).  So you would be looking at 75 MB per host.   For vCenter you capture vpxd.log so that will be 25 MB.

As mentioned it's a pretty easy thing to expand the storage space used by the vMA.

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dave,

I have found the middleware team in this environment has a splunk installation so I'm going to leverage their systems. However your input is useful for future implementations. So thank you very much.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos