VMware Cloud Community
Suporte-UNISIM
Contributor
Contributor

vGPU GRID to VMware host

Could someone help me to add a GPU GRID on a host?

Here is some information about the environment:

- Host: HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10
- ESXi 7.0.2 (build 17867351)
- NVIDIA P6000 GPU
- NVIDIA-VMware_ESXi_7.0.2_Driver 470.63-1OEM.702.0.0.17630552 (VIB)

From vCenter, in the Hardware Graphics configuration session, the Active Type is appearing as Basic and available memory 0B.

But I already made the recommended settings and installed the VIB drivers. However, when I run some verification commands, some errors appear or nothing happens.

# esxcli graphics host get
Default Graphics Type: SharedPassthru
Shared Passthru Assignment Policy: Performance

# gpuvm - no output appears.

# nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

But if I load the module manually with the command: esxcli system module load -m nvidia, the error changes to:

# nvidia-smi
Failed to initialize NVML: Unknown Error

Xorg is also not running and as I read, it could be a BIOS or GPU firmware update, which apparently are OK.

I also read about having two graphics cards on the same server and that the GPU could not be addressed to be available to VMware. I also read something related with memory addressing limitation.

Anyway, I'm stuck on this... To make all these settings, I based myself on this link from VMware: Using GPUs with Virtual Machines on vSphere (part 3).

If you can just tell me what I'm missing, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

With the video card model in question, you can only perform Virtual Dedicated Graphics Acceleration (vDGA) where the card is passed directly to a VM and cannot be shared with others (what you are trying to configure is called Virtual Shared Pass-Through Graphics Acceleration but does not work with that type of card)

Here is the difference between the various types of use of video cards:
Deploying Hardware-Accelerated Graphics with VMware Horizon | VMware

Here are some indications of how to configure the vDGA

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.13/horizon-virtual-desktops/GUID-41547581-2CAC-40D2-AC...

And here to see which cards are compatible:

VMware Compatibility Guide - Shared Pass-Through Graphics

VMware Compatibility Guide - vdga

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

Suporte-UNISIM
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @fabio1975 

Thank you so much for your explanation. Now it is clear to me the differences.

Thanks and best regards.

0 Kudos