VMware Cloud Community
Spacetracker
Contributor
Contributor

vGPU GLX being started at login, interferes with NVIDIA xrdp display

We have successfully set up the NVIDIA driver and a GPU for vGPU for RHEL 7.  We can build and run CUDA and OpenCL programs.  We are using xrdp, which we have also setup properly.  The problem occurs when xrdp starts Xorg for the NVIDIA driver.  I get this error:

[ 77.485] (II) Initializing extension GLX
[ 77.485] (II) GLX: Another vendor is already registered for screen 0

Xorg and gnome are started anyway but the login crashes because it did not connect to Screen 0.  I go back to the non-NVIDIA xorgxrdp and it passes, but both displays are now available.  When I check the vendors with glxinfo, this is the default display that logs in:

Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):

Vendor: VMware, Inc. (0xffffffff)

And when I query the NVIDIA display that is still running from the failed attempt.  So that is all working except the screen.

server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

So the error makes sense, but I suspect that vGPU is starting its own GLX, particularly after this article that says Xorg is no longer needed.  It is not visible by name with 'ps'.  I have tried stopping gdm and uninstalling Mesa, but it fails the same way.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81912

How to I stop the GLX that VMware is running, so that I can connect my own NVIDIA Xorg to Screen 0?

Thanks

Richard

0 Kudos
0 Replies