VMware Cloud Community
KBRGeek
Contributor
Contributor

vCentre sends out an alert that the a vmnic is offline but it is not

I have recently upgraded our ESXi 5.1 host to 10Gb nics, enabled IP Hash to match the ether channel configuration on the Nexus switch its connected to and configured the vmkernel to see one of the two adapter (vmnic5) where the management network only sees vmnic 0. The vswitch has both vmnic 0 and vmnic 5 as active.

For some reason vCentre is reporting vmnic 5 as being down/offline but it is not and there switch that it is patched into has no reports of the link being down.

Has anyone see this problem before?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dhanarajramesh

when you set Route based on IP hash, you  must at least have >= 2 active/active . so check all port group and vswitch NIC team is in active active.  the  please attache the configuration images.we can see what goes wrong.

0 Kudos
KBRGeek
Contributor
Contributor

That is how it is already configured.

Both adapters are set to active with "IP hash" enable for load balancing.

vSwitch configuration

vswitch.JPG

vmkernel

vmkernel.JPG

Management network

management network.JPG

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

in Vmkernel , management network, instead of unused Adapter,  please make changes all these two adapters to active active and try

0 Kudos
KBRGeek
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry but I disagree with you as that change with drop the server offline completely. Confirmed by VMware

0 Kudos
mdangel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have mine set both to active/active and I have no issues. Take a lookCapture.PNG

0 Kudos
KBRGeek
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but why did you override your settings and not inherit them from the switch? Also your network does not appear to have any Vlans assigned, which will make your environment completely different to mine.

Thanks for the reply though

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

because below info are per-request and limitation of ether channel and IP hash Load balancing configuration   1) Switching infrastructure mush support static Etherchannel or static 802.3ad link aggregation and this must be configured for each hosts uplinks.   2)  To enable network switch redundancy the network switches must support stacking or functionality similar to Virtual Port Channel.   3)  Can’t use beacon probing.   4)  Can’t configure standby or unused uplinks.   5) Only support one Etherchannel per vNetwork Distributed Switch (vDS).   6)  vSwitch can be configured with between 1 and 8 uplinks.   7) To get effective load balancing requires many source/destination combinations.

0 Kudos