VMware Cloud Community
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

vCenter very slow after storage vMotion

Not rely sure if this belongs in ESXi, storage, networking?

I recently noticed that the vCenter Service / vSphere client interaction becomes extremely slow after Storage vMotion of the vCenter Server. Here are the particulars (this has happened on a couple of different vCenters)

• vCenter 4.1 & SQL 2008 full on same w2k8 X64 (4GB, 2 Proc)

• Using RDP to connect to vCenter Server

• vSphere Client installed locally on vCenter

After Storage vMotion from local storage to iSCSI or from LUN to LUN on iSCSI, vCenter seems to be lagging. It is difficult to do anything, change views, edit settings, open console, etc. The rest of the OS appears to be fine, like opening IE, etc.

Any ideas; problem seems to be resolved by restarting the vCenter Server after Storage vMotion, but you aren't supposed to have to do that!

The Invisible Admin

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos
4 Replies
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

My first thought for troubleshooting would be to perform a storage VMotion and then restart all of the services on your vCenter box. If restarting the services fixes the issue then it probably isn't an issue with your storage medium.

What happens when you do a storage VMotion from iSCSI to local disk? If there is an issue after doing this then it probably is not your storage medium as local disk should be pretty fast and there is no chance of a networking lag issue.

On a side note, if you haven't already then you should set your vCenter services startup type to Automatic Delayed Start as I find that when full SQL is installed locally the databases take a while to come online and often vCenter services will fail to start without manual intervention.

Not the answers I know, but could help with your troubleshooting process.

Cheers,

logiboy123

unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

Good tip on SQL, I have a link around here which explains the steps to making vCenter dependant on SQL for that very reason, but it dosn't seem to happen with vCenter 4.1/w2k8x64 like it used to.

I am building SRM right now, so I will have plenty of opportunity to test the exact circumstances under which it happens (vCenter Lag), but I am pretty sure that just restarting the vCenter service doesn't fix it.

The Invisible Admin

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

OK, so on further testing, the entire VM is very slow after Storage vMotion until restart when it immediatly resumes normal performance.

The Invisible Admin

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

Is this all VM's in your environment or specific VM's?

What is your pagefile configuration on the server set to, Default?

Are these windows server's?

I would check resouce monitor in vCenter to see if anything unusual is going on, as well as the resource monitoring system on the OS. I'd also check the eventvwr logs to see what is happening there.

0 Kudos