VMware Cloud Community
heklager
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter v6.7 and ESXi 6.0 on HP DL360 G7

I created a cluster with 3 ESXi 6.0 U3 on HP DL360 G7 with a Smart Array controller with RAID 5

The I get the warning : The number of vSphere HA heartbeat datastores for this host is 0, which is less than required: 2

I can't find a way to mount a datastore on a remote host. For now, the Smart Array Controller datastore of each host is only accessible locally by each host respectively.

Anyone can help ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the area for vSphere, I reported it to the moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There's no real point in enabling HA on a cluster without shared storage.

HA is a feature that will try to restart VMs in case of a host failure. If a host with just local storage fails, there's no way for the other hosts to access its storage anymore.

André

0 Kudos
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

you can configure Heartbeat Datastores when you have some shared storage, so in your scenario, enabling HA is inapplicable

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@heklager

As my fellows mentioned in your scenario enabling HA makes no sense. In case of a host failure HA will not be able to restart the VMs on another host as the storage is still on the other host. So if you looking forward in enabling HA you need to add shared storage (or upgrade vSphere and set it up as a vSAN cluster. The hardware will not be officially vSAN compatible.)

Regards

0 Kudos