VMware Cloud Community
Herb0ne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter on SSD?

Hello, I want to ask, if installing vCenter on SSD would give an increase of performance and if it is viable? I ask this, because the bootup time now is horrible. I've installed it on a win Server 2012 r2 with 2 other win Server wm's on the same old 1TB HDD. Esxi hypervisor runs on a separate HDD.

Kind regards

Herb

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alistar
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Back when I was just getting started with virtualization, I ended up the same way - A classic SATA Hard Drive will not provide you with enough IOPS to run more than one VM actively at the same time - the ~100 IO just don't cut it. Furthermore, vCenter is quite an IO intensive little beast - so you will have a huge benefit from installing this VM to the SSD. Better yet, try having all your VMs there in Thin Provisioned format, and keeping only the most idle VMs (eg. domain controller) on your spindled hard-drive.

Good luck!

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SG1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if its a VM -- check esxtop if your disks are getting saturated.

especially look for disk stats in esxtop and confirm that the problem is with disks before moving to SSD

HTH

abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It will surely help. SSD will enhance boot of any VM, not just vCenter.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

IIIusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Few hints from my experience:

1. Check JVM settings for vCenter components (Inventory and etc.) Try to reduce them to minimum (less than 1Gb) if your environment is small (less than 10 ESXi and 50VMs) and this will significantly improve load time.

2. Use vCenter appliance if you don't have strict requirement for Windows vCenter

3. SSD will improve time of couse, but probably less than above-mentioned

Don't forget to mark your topic resolved if you got right answer. Thank you! Regards Ray
Alistar
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Back when I was just getting started with virtualization, I ended up the same way - A classic SATA Hard Drive will not provide you with enough IOPS to run more than one VM actively at the same time - the ~100 IO just don't cut it. Furthermore, vCenter is quite an IO intensive little beast - so you will have a huge benefit from installing this VM to the SSD. Better yet, try having all your VMs there in Thin Provisioned format, and keeping only the most idle VMs (eg. domain controller) on your spindled hard-drive.

Good luck!

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
Herb0ne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you all for your help!

Before I'll go for the ssd I try to reduce the heap size as suggested. The

problem is, that I can't find the propper wrapper file locations in vCenter 6 and all

the KB articles are for 5.5 and below. Can anybody please guide me to theese wrapper

file locations?

//herb

0 Kudos
mackuzz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a question about moving Vcenter vm to SSD.
Vcenter has a database and is writing data to it's db and to log files actively.

So, how quickly will SSD wear out, if I will place Vcenter on it?

0 Kudos