VMware Cloud Community
davidcrowder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter > host > configuration > health monitoring > storage Supported RAID controllers?

With the major manufacturer's (HP, Dell, etc) you can expect excellent out-of-the-box support with vSphere.  That includes a wealth of sensors for health monitoring.

Right now, the smaller SMB company that I am employed by is looking into a local supplier for servers.  They deal in SuperMicro.  On the surface, I don't dislike SuperMicro.  However, my experience has been that their RAID controllers, which are Avago / LSI re-brands, do not have good support for health monitoring in vCenter Server.  Even after installing custom drivers & VIB modules for this purpose, they don't tend to provide good, reliable data.

So, I suppose my question is:  Does anyone know of any type of list of RAID controllers that have good integration with vCenter, out-of-the-box?  The basic HCL from VMWare does not cover more in-depth issues like health monitoring.  Trying to dig into this and find a RAID controller for locally built servers is ... frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the RAID controllers are on the HCL, they should have support with monitoring.   What RAID controllers have you seen the issues with?

0 Kudos
davidcrowder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The controller is a LSI MegaRAID 9361.  It seems I need to find / install the CIM provider... but am having difficulty tracking it down.

0 Kudos