VMware Cloud Community
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

vCenter choice

Hi all,

A very generic title, I know. I'm asking your opinion / vision on the design and implementation of the vCenter server. Currently I am studying for the VCAP-DCD certification and in this certification journey, every design choice must be well thought through. One of the items discussed was the choice of the vCenter server. In short, you have 2 options:

1. Windows based vCenter server installed manually on top of a Windows OS.
  2. Linux based vCenter server, which comes as a virtual appliance.

Since the limitations of the VCSA in 5.5 have been raised 100 hosts and 3000 virtual machines, it is a suitable candidate for smaller to medium infrastructures. Both variants have options for either a local (DB2 for the appliance and MSSQL for the Windows version) or remote database. Remote databases have advantages such as usage of the existing MSSQL or Oracle environment (if available), separation of duties, and perhaps the vSphere administrator is not really strong in the SQL field.

Local databases have advantages such as the all in one package that you have with vCenter, with dependencies only local to the system. Using the existing MSSQL or Oracle environment can also be a weakness in the design choice. Outages on the production platform (which could host SQL) would result in the outage of the vCenter server, and therefore a part of the management tools of the vSphere platform.

The Windows based platform can also be installed on either physical hardware, or as a virtual machine. Physical hardware has the advantage that there is no dependency on the virtual infrastructure resources to perform management of the virtual environment. Disadvantages of using physical hardware for the vCenter server is that extra hardware is necessary, dedicated for the vCenter server. You cannot take advantage of snapshots, or move easily to another host if you wish it so.

Because each environment is unique, and there is no one size fits all solution, I would like to ask you all to share some thoughts about the design, and the implementation of vCenter as a service in the virtual infrastructure.

In my implementations of the vCenter server, I've used both. On smaller infrastructures (max 10 hosts or so), I went with the appliance for the all in one advantage, and mainly because the customer had to buy a Windows license for the vCenter server otherwise. In our datacenter setups, I went with the Windows based setup, because we have the Windows licensing based on Datacenter licenses from Microsoft. Also, we would like to use Update Manager (VUM) there. A thing the VCSA does not support.

In short:

1) Does your virtual infrastructure (or your customers') use the Windows or Linux based vCenter Server? What was your reason for going with one or the other?

2) In both cases, with a local database, or a remote?

3) In the Windows based vCenter case, have you installed it on physical hardware, or as a virtual machine? Why?

Everyone that shares their vision on the above questions will be given a helpfull answer. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> ... DB2 for the appliance ...

Just a quick note: A DB2 datasbase was only for the first version, later DB2 was replaced vPostgres.

Answering your questions would mostly mean to repeat what you already summarized Smiley Wink

1. It's actually a question of the environment's size. Since SQL-Express still only supports up to 5 hosts, most smaller environments benefit from the appliance. Host updates can actually be done in a single command line, so VUM is not really a requirement. Also think of the much easier maintenance of the applicane.
  2. Local DB where possible. Remote in larger environments or if required/requested by the customer.
  3. Definitely VM based. Much higher availability in case of a hardware failure. In case of hardware, you'd either need the appropriat support level for the hardware or a cold standby system. I've never setup a physical vCenter Server since the 3.x times.

André

tomtom901
Commander
Commander

You're right, vPostgres ofcourse Smiley Happy. One advantage I see in VUM is the rolling upgrade variant in which VUM walks through a cluster and places each host in maintenance mode, applies the updates, reboots if necessary and then takes the host out of the maintenance mode.

Thanks for your insights. Have you ever deployed something like vCenter heartbeat to tackle (application) HA of the vCenter server?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No, I unfortunately didn't have the chance to deploy vCenter Heartbeat yet.

André

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hey,

I've administrated a small 10 host infastructure from versions 3.5 - 5.1 with a physical vCenter on Windows. I just recently switched to the 5.5 Appliance.

The decision for the physical install was made from the head of IT. Mainly because he was concerned that we might create some chicken-and-egg problem I guess.

Somewhere in the 4.X version we migrated the database from SQL Express to a full MSSQL, running on the same hardware as the vCenter Server.

My main reason to switch to the appliance was the fact, that I ran into quite some trouble during the 5.1 windows upgrade with my CA signed SSL certificates, that took my vCenter down for a couple of days back then. Even after opening a call.

So on the search for a simpler upgrade in the future I switched from 5.1 windows vCenter to a 5.5 vCenter appliance, using the local vPostgres DB and I'm quite happy with it.

The VUM still runs on the old physical Windows server and is now pointed to the vCenter appliance.

Tim

tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Tim,

Thanks for your insights. The VCSA which you are now running, is it separated from the other (production) virtual machines in some way? Does it use local storage instead of SAN or NAS (NFS) storage?

In the cluster I'm building next week we will include a small management cluster which consists of 2 hosts with local storage. The vCenter server (Windows in our case) will be dropped there with some other critical VM's. With the help of a replication tool, either vSphere replication or something like Veeam (probably the latter) we will replicate the VM's between the hosts.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Tom,

no the appliance runs in a normal cluster with other productive VMs. Since we want it to benefit from HA and DRS, it's also stored on the FC SAN.

We have created a DRS affinity rule so that the appliance can only be placed on 3 hosts. So in case the appliance is down we don't have to search every host for it.

Tim

0 Kudos