VMware Cloud Community
gymiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Standalone Converter

I have 2 esxi 5 machines that are being managed by vcenter 5. I am trying to use VMware vCenter converter standalone to move 1 vm to another vm. I click on convert machine, then put in the ip for esxi1 and select the vm that i want to move, it is shutdown. Then i put in the ip for esxi 2 and the error i get is the access to the host resource settingsis restricted to the server x.x.x.x (the ip for the vcenter server) that is managing the host. Use the management server as a destination.

I have tried removing the vm from inventory on the original machine but then the program cannot see it. My vcenter is installed on the one of the esxi servers, in this case it would be the destination for the vm. I don't believe that has anything to do with it but just fyi.

How do i resolve this so i can use vCenter Standalone Converter to migrate vm's between esxi servers.

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

gymiv wrote:

I am using the ip address of the destination server. When i click on next after filling out the destination info is when i get the error described above.

The IP address of you vCenter Server, not the ESXi Host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you'll need to use the FQDN or IP address of your vCenter Server as the destination.  From there you can pick you destination ESXi Host. This is only the case, I believe, if you are using vCenter5 to manage hosts.

UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Few question on your query ?

1) Is your both esx are hosted in the vcenter ?

2) Are they are in cluster ?

Answer to my 1 Question :

If your both the esx server are hosted on the vcenter than you can migrate the shutdown vm from one esx host to another

Answer to my 2 Question :

If both are in cluster than vmotion will be the best possibility with zero downtime.

And if not to above question than check weather you are having share datastore for both the esx hosts which will be fesible to do migration from one esx host to another.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
gymiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using the ip address of the destination server. When i click on next after filling out the destination info is when i get the error described above.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

gymiv wrote:

The IP address of you vCenter Server, not the ESXi Host.

0 Kudos
gymiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That allowed me in thanks. But brings up another question. When i get by putting in the destination ip the next screen shows all the vm's on both machines. I cannot just copy the vm i have to change the name. Is that correct or am i missing something. I know on the screen after that i can choose which esxi server i want it to reside on. I just thought it was strange that for the destination address i did not put in the esxi server, that is where it is going. So it correct you have to change the name of the vm before you move it?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you'll have to change the name only because you can't have two object names the same in vCenter.  We typically add an _old to the original, this way when the clone can carry the correct name, and the _old can be deleted when all is verified.

gymiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great thanks thats what i wanted to know.

0 Kudos