VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vCenter Server Services

Anyone who can explain all the services running on vCenter Server. Unfortunately i am not able to find any material on this by doing the google this topic. So Plz Help me on this

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
8 Replies
NickMarshall9
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Are you talking about the vCenter services that get installed in Windows on the vCenter server?

If so, here's a dump from my lab VC server:

Service NameDescription
vCenter Inventory ServicevCenter Inventory Service
VMware Snapshot ProviderVMware Snapshot Provider
VMware Tools ServiceProvides support for synchronizing objects between the host and guest   operating systems.
VMware USB Arbitration Service
VMware vCenter Orchestrator ConfigurationVMware vCenter Orchestrator Server Web Configuration
VMware VirtualCenter Management   WebservicesAllows configuration of VMware VirtualCenter Management services.
VMware VirtualCenter ServerProvides centralized management of VMware virtual machines.
VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage   ServiceVMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service
VMwareVCMSDSProvides VMware VirtualCenter Server LDAP directory services.

Is that what you're after?

Cheers,

Book - Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 Blog - LabGuides.com & NickMarshall.com.au Podcast - vBrownBag.com
0 Kudos
venkateshvcp5
Contributor
Contributor

there are arounf 7-9 services in VCenter even more depends...

1. vCenter Server Service- Used to manage vCenter Activities..

2. Orchestration service- Used for Custom workflows. If any workflow needs to be executed then we need this Service.

3.vCenter Inventory Servivce- Used for manage Inventory on vCenter

4.vCenter Management service- Used to Management web services.

5.Profile driven storage Service- used when you wan to use the profile storage driven storage in vcCenter under Management panel.

6.Update manager service- its a security service Used for vm's or hosts to scan and recitfy if there are any faults

7-VCMSDS- LDAP service

8.VSS- Volume shadow copy service  used for backup and other purposes.

9 if you have webeclient installed then you can see Webclient Service.

VCP5, Bladelogic Server Automation Certified, MCITP. If you feel any thing is Correct. Please award me "Helpful Answer" or "Correct Answer"
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if you can send any website link from vmware or from others then please send that

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
venkateshvcp5
Contributor
Contributor

http://vcp4.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/vcenter-ports-vcenter-services/

http://geeksilver.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/vsphere-5-s-new-services-in-vcenter/

VCP5, Bladelogic Server Automation Certified, MCITP. If you feel any thing is Correct. Please award me "Helpful Answer" or "Correct Answer"
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

using pcli,

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Mr. beckham007fifa

My question is not how to list them but it is the detailed explanation of these services.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
sudheep619
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Ranjna,

Did you get any answers? I am particularly interested in the service:vCenter Inventory Service. It is creating a security vulnarability related to HTTP TRACE and TRACK. I disabled the service. Nothing affected the vcenter. But still wondering what is the purpose of the service.

0 Kudos
tjw82
Contributor
Contributor

Can you tell me why the VMware USB Arbitration Service is installed on vcenter?

0 Kudos