VMware Cloud Community
GDunck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Server Essentials 5.0 vs 5.1 vCPU Limits

Hello,

Are there currently any limitations when running vCenter Server Essentials 5.0 in terms of vCPUs? For instance I manage 3 hosts per vCenter Server, each with 2 physical processors; (20 cores/host) giving me nearly 60 cores that a single vCenter Server is managing.

How about on 5.1 vCenter Server Essentials? I have browsed each Configurations Maximums documents for each version but neither states a limit for vCPUs being managed by a single vCenter, but this also does not take licensing into account.

Thanks and regards!!

GDunck

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

you are not limited in the total number of cores. ( well a Essentials kit is 3 host with 2 sockets each, so your max core number would be [max available cores per socket] x 2 x 3 Smiley Wink )

The license only limits the number of vCPUs you configure for a single VM. And this is 8 vCPU per VM in vSphere 5.0 and 5.1 Essentials.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

you are not limited in the total number of cores. ( well a Essentials kit is 3 host with 2 sockets each, so your max core number would be [max available cores per socket] x 2 x 3 Smiley Wink )

The license only limits the number of vCPUs you configure for a single VM. And this is 8 vCPU per VM in vSphere 5.0 and 5.1 Essentials.

Regards

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With vSphere 5 all physical restrictions were removed (except for the 32GB RAM for the free Hypervisor). The vRAM entitlement that was introduced with vSphere 5.0, was eliminated with vSphere 5.0 Update 2 (see VMware vCenter Server 5.0 Update 2 Release Notes) and vSphere 5.1 Update 1 (see vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1a Release Notes).

André

GDunck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks schepp and a.p.

Appreciate your time and knowledge.

GDunck

0 Kudos