VMware Cloud Community
fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter SQL db backup inquiry

Hi all,

I have the vCenter and its SQL on 2 separate VM.

I want to ask about the vCenter SQL db backup.

I know the safest way to back up the DB is to shutdown the vCenter first.

But I want to know, what if I don't shutdown the vCenter before backing up the DB? Is it safe at all?

I ask this because I want to setup schedule for auto backup of the DB of the vCenter.

Thank you in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It depends on the backup method, in general with standard tools for backup, SQL DB backup on rotational schedule its not required for the vcenter to be down to take backups.

What your plan to backup vcenter DB? what tool are you going to use to take backup of DB?

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It depends on the backup method, in general with standard tools for backup, SQL DB backup on rotational schedule its not required for the vcenter to be down to take backups.

What your plan to backup vcenter DB? what tool are you going to use to take backup of DB?

0 Kudos
fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I will be doing full DB backup using the SQL Management Studio.

Is it really safe to do it without vCenter shutdown?

What if during backup there are some activities on the vCenter such as creating VM or something?

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes its is i have tested with sql 2008 R2 and vcenter 5.X, you can take a backup using sql management studio with yours vcenter online.

King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There is no need tp shutdown the VCenter Server to take backup of MSSQL DB. you can take the backup through MSSQL Management studio, which i have personally done so many times.