VMware Cloud Community
justinsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Reporting

So upper management has tasked me to come up with some monthly reports... is there a way to script these?

DC1 Prod POD/Cluster CPU Usage
DC1 Test POD/Cluster CPU Usage
DC2 Prod POD/Cluster Memory Usage
DC2 Test POD/Cluster Memory Usage
# of VM's per host - Prod
# of VM's per host - Test
# of VM's per cluster - Prod

# of VM's per cluster - Test

Is there a way to find out the # of VM's provisioned within a time frame? Basically what new VM's were spun up.?

Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Justin.

I believe the vCheck script accepts the vcenter name as input.  So when you run the script in PowerCLI type "vCheck.ps1 <vCenterName or IP>"

Also make sure you look through the vCheck script.  There are a bunch of varibles to change to customize the information the script outputs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I think a good bulk of what you are looking for is coded in the vCheck v5 written by Alan Renouf. Take a look and see what you think:

http://www.virtu-al.net/featured-scripts/vcheck/

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
justinsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That sounds/looks great...

I've played around with the VI PS but I'm getting an error when I run the command....

Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Server'. The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that is not null or empty and then try the command again.

At :line:701 char:28

+ $VIServer = Connect-VIServer <<<< $VISRV –user “AlternateUsername” –Pass “Alternatepassword” –Protocol Https

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Justin.

I believe the vCheck script accepts the vcenter name as input.  So when you run the script in PowerCLI type "vCheck.ps1 <vCenterName or IP>"

Also make sure you look through the vCheck script.  There are a bunch of varibles to change to customize the information the script outputs.

0 Kudos
justinsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've made the changes in the actual script, but running the script name with the vcenter name after it in power cli did the trick.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
justinsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I ran the script against both of my vcenter servers (one mages 3.5 hosts, the other manages 4.1).

The information is TOTALLY useful, but Im looking for more specifics... specifically the % of RAM/CPU used or even the actual # of RAM/CPU used and I can find the average. Also, it shows the # of VM's but total in the whole environment, I'd like to specifically see per datacenter, or per cluster maybe?

0 Kudos
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You might want to look into another tool to get the information you're looking for.  It may not be easy to simply get this information out of vCenter.  Have you looked at vCenter Operations Manager, Veeam Monitor, or similar products?

Matt

http://www.thelowercasew.com

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
0 Kudos