VMware Cloud Community
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter, ESX3 to 4, vmware tools

I have three days left on the eval of vCenter, which we bought.

I have a production vm running on 3.5 123630, which we can still see until we license vCenter.

Obviously the 3.5 needs to update to 4.0.

I have had one successful inplace upgrade, one vmware tools upgrade killed a vm, and another failed move. I am trying to plan my best way to handle this.

1. move the vm to one of the 4.0 servers. Consequences for the vm.?

2. Acronis backup of the vm and restore to a 4.0 server?

3. Clone the vm to a 4.0 server and do in place esx upgrade 3.5 to 4.0?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

1. There is no problem running a VM created on an ESX 3 host on an ESX 4 host - both should be on the same vCenter 4.0 server

2. You could do that but I woul still do option 1

3. You could do this as well but like 1 both should be on the same vCenter 4 server -

Have you read this http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_upgrade_guide.pdf - it contains all you need to know about uprgrading to vSphere -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
GoodMorningDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What prepatory should I do before moving the vm?

I am assuming it will not run after it's moved and it just moving back won't fix anything.

?:|

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Nothing really - the vm should run on esx4 server with no changes

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 22, 2009, at 12:08 PM, "GoodMorningDave" <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos