VMware Cloud Community
rudybrewster
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Database migration to SQL 2008

Hi

I've recently upgraded to vSphere 4.1 and vCenter 4.1 from my old ESX3.5 set-up, which included SQL 2005 express. (Which much help from the fine people on this forum I must add)

I'm coming to the limit of what my DB can hold (three hosts, 60 VMs) so need to look at getting a SQL 2008 DB running instead, there seems to be a few differing opinions on what the best way to go.

I think I'd like to install a new Windows 2008 R2 server (does this too have to be 64 bit?) and have the DB on that server, with the vCenter server separate.

I'm certainly no DBA, and as we're a small company that'll be left to me, and as far as I can tell I need to follow a process sort of like:

1. Clone current vCenter server.
  2. Stop VM services on vCenter.
  3. Detach VIM DBs from Vcenter.
  4. Copy DB files.
  5. Open Windows 2008 R2 server (again is this 64 bit?)
  6. Copy DB files over.
  7. Attach DBs
  8. Assign the same credentials (the current DB uses server credentials, which will be the same - do I need to do this step?)
  9. Start services?
  10. Point vCenter server to new remote DB - not sure how to do this?

Just looking for a bit of guidance, as I say I'm no DBA, so any help on that, what Sql 2008 install options I need etc would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Grab the vSphere migration guide - it includes migratin of the DB - so should be pretty helpful.

I found a useful SQL installation guide and posted about it:

http://www.get-virtual.info/2011/04/14/how-to-install-microsoft-sql-server-2008-for-vmware-vcenter-4...

This may help you with your problem too.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
rudybrewster
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I think the migration guide says upgrading to SQL 2008 is out of the scope of the document?

Do you know how I tell how much space my DB is using? If I look in the install directory:

C:\program files(x86)\Microsoft SQL server\MSSQL\Data

I and right click > properties, it says 1.86GB - is this the total size of my DB or is there information elsewhere pushing me toward that 4GB total?

0 Kudos