VMware Cloud Community
wgreenNRL
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Appliance - service won't start after reboot

Hello.

We've downloaded the Suse based vCSA, deployed and configured.  Everything is working great until the vCSA is rebooted.  After reboot, vCenter server won't start and the db2 database won't initialize.

This is repeatable.  I can redeploy and go through the setup and the same behavior is observced.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thank you...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

This usually happen when you are using an unsupported configuration. How many ESX and VMs do you have on them?

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
brucekconvergen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've seen this as a result of changing the timezone... when you redeploy the appliance,  do not do anything to the web console other than reset the timezone, initially.   Reboot the appliance, verify the time / date match your locale.  Now go ahead and configure everything else -- that should take care of it.

0 Kudos
squidster
Contributor
Contributor

I too have had this problem. On restarting the VCSA / vCenter Server Appliance, it would "freeze" while "trying to start the embedded DB2".

The VCSA had been working perfectly for months prior to this....

It just so happens that on the esxi v5.0 update 1 host running the VCSA, I set an NTP (time) server just yesterday..

Since then weve had a couple of weird problems;

1. I could no longer migrate BOTH host and datastore at the same time using vMotion.   vCenter gave me a message that I had to power the VM off.  It worked yesterday!

2. The VCSA kept dropping connections to VIclients..

So I thought the VCSA was unstable, rebooted it and got the "Waiting for Embedded DB2 message".

I removed the NTP client from the host, and the VCSA started instantly...

0 Kudos