VMware Cloud Community
bhargavjani
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 6.5 says valid license will expire

Recently upgraded from 5.5 to 6.5 on about 40 hosts. We had our licenses upgraded, and all was working fine for 6 weeks.

I'm now getting an error message in vSphere for four of the hosts which are in the same subnet saying:

"Your host license expires in 10 days. The host will disconnect from vCenter Server when it's license expires."

error.JPG

I've double checked all the hosts to make sure that license isn't being used elsewhere. Have tried renaming the license and then removing and re-adding the host to vSphere, issue persists.

Any ideas? Here is the license the server is using:

license using.JPG

and here is the license details:

license details.JPG

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you check the validity of the license though it shows never it will have an expiry. can you please verify the same?

0 Kudos
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert

Check your vCenter Server license?

You mentioned the vSphere license which looks fine.

Rick

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
0 Kudos
bhargavjani
Contributor
Contributor

The license shows up in my vmware web portal when I login so it's a valid license.

vmlicense.png

0 Kudos
luwenwei
Contributor
Contributor

Reactivate it, the key problem, right?

0 Kudos
bhargavjani
Contributor
Contributor

Problem isn't the key. I've tried putting another spare license we had on that host and it still says license will expire in 'x' days.

8 days left. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Out of curiosity, what do you see in the license section when you login directly to the host?

André

0 Kudos
luwenwei
Contributor
Contributor

Are you having problems with the system? Is this all the same?

0 Kudos
bhargavjani
Contributor
Contributor

when logging in to the host it also shows the license is going to expire.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Does it show the expected license information in the licensing section, or does it show evaluation mode?

In case it doesn't show the license, try to apply the licence directly on the host to see whether it works, or not (maybe there's a helpful error message in this case).

André

0 Kudos
abevern
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue after upgrading to vCenter 6.5 with some existing 5.5 hosts that were not upgraded.

I tried assigning new licenses, re-assigning existing etc. No dice.

I connected to the ESXi host directly using the fat client and found that the host was showing that the evaluation license had expired. They should not have been on an evaluation license.

I manually assigned the existing license to the ESXi host, then removed the host from vCenter and re-added.

Problem solved.

0 Kudos