VMware Cloud Community
jobpat1412
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 6.0 high memory usage

I install vCenter 6.0 U1b (WIndows installler with SQL Express)

My Environment is WIndows 2012 R2  4 vCPUs , memory 8 GB , Disk 100 GB.

with 4 Hosts and 25 vm guests

when I check Task manager, the memory is always 80-90%. and JAVA  is about 15 processes.

this is normal?

and if we increase memory to 12 GB. will JAVA increase memory usage and reach to 80%-90% ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vXav
Expert
Expert

4GB RAM. Memory requirements might be higher if the database runs on the same machine.

vCenter Server includes several Java services: VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices (Tomcat), Inventory Service, and Profile-Driven Storage Service. When you install vCenter Server, you select the size of your vCenter Server inventory to allocate memory for these services. The inventory size determines the maximum JVM heap settings for the services. You can adjust this setting after installation if the number of hosts in your environment changes.

Seems about right, my vCenter eats 21 out of 32GB of memory.

0 Kudos
jobpat1412
Contributor
Contributor

How many VMs and hosts are in your environment?

0 Kudos
Sharath_BN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Multiple Java process is normal in vSphere 6 and this would be run by different process on the machine where vCenter is installed.

At this moment the vCenter machine is running on the minimum requirements for vCenter as per vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center.

The usage of the resources by Java may increase with the increase of the resource on machine provided there is a need. Usually Java mem setting is set when it is installed. If it is seen extremely high this would be because of a memory leak.

Since this is a new installed machine increasing the resource is best suitable depending on the inventorywhich would be managed.

Please also consider system resource usage for other application(Eg: SQL express).

0 Kudos