VMware Cloud Community
Francesco2011
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5.5 not connect to esxi5.5 after upgrade

Hi,

I upgraded from a host 5.1 latest release and upgrade to ESXi 5.5. After several minutes, I tried to connect the host to vCenter 5.5 because the host was disconnected, but to no avail. Ping the ip and dns name to work properly. If I connect by the browser I get the web page and if I use the vSphere Client 5.5, the server opens and I can handle it properly. The problem is that I can not connect to vCenter. also the vCenter has just been updated to version 5.5. How can I fix?

The error is:
Call "Datacenter.QueryConnectionInfo" for object "xxxxxxx" on vCenter Server "VC.pdom.local" failed.

regards,
Francesco

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check if the test management network is working fine on the host configuration screen.

See if DNS is being resolved there correctly.

Update the DNS suffix on the ESXi host. It should work.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hmmm.... Are you using Windows XP SP3 or Win2k3 as your guest to open the vSphere Client.??

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If so, from the release notes:

vSphere Client and vSphere PowerCLI might fail to connect to vCenter Server 5.5, with a handshake failure

When installed on a Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 host machine, the vSphere Client and vSphere PowerCLI might fail to connect to vCenter Server 5.5, with a handshake failure. vSphere 5.5 uses the Open SSL library, which, for security, is configured by default to accept only connections that use strong cipher suites. On Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, the vSphere Client and vSphere PowerCLI do not use strong cipher suites to connect with vCenter Server. The error No matching cipher suite is shown on the server side, and the handshake fails on the vSphere Client or vSphere PowerCLI side.

Workarounds are here Smiley Happy vSphere 5.5 Release Notes

0 Kudos
Francesco2011
Contributor
Contributor

No VCenter Server 5.5 is installed on Windows 2008 R2 64bit standard and I open vSphere Client 5.5 on Windows 7 64bit and web on Mozilla 24 or IE 10.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you try the options i mentioned?

Is  FQDN of the host being resolved? and have you updated the DNS Suffix?

Abhilash B

0 Kudos
Francesco2011
Contributor
Contributor

I did the test. In a first test the result is failed on all 4 tests. Then I noticed that the ip was displayed was a wrong ip. It's dedicated to vMotion. I tried to change it with the correct IP but, when I save the configuration, esxi generates error and keeps the wrong IP. Only set a completely different IP, I can save the configuration and pass the test. Unfortunately, now with the new configuration the vSphere Client can not connect to the host. The ping to the new IP works but the client does not connect. Maybe it's better that I format or restore the entire machine?

0 Kudos
Francesco2011
Contributor
Contributor

My computer connect correctly to vCenter and I can use all the other esxi 5.1 hosts, but I can't add the new host that I have upgraded to 5.5 .

0 Kudos
Francesco2011
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. The hostname is correct and the domain name is correct. The host now ping correctly 2 DNS server and the vcenter but I can't connect to it from my computer with cSphere Client and web-browser.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why don't you restart the host(if there's nothing running on it). And then try assigning the right IP and try connecting through the client? and also chech the test see if it resolves and then add it to vcenter and try. Do not give up yet. You will learn lot of things when you sit to troubleshoot.

Abhilash B

0 Kudos
Francesco2011
Contributor
Contributor

I have restart the host. I watch that the etch0-1-2 have lost vSwitch0 and now I don't know where I can add this feature.

0 Kudos
Geoff_Rose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone work this out?

Ive just setup a new 5.5B vcenter for testing and am getting this error - running Windows 2012 server

Ive seen this http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102767...

and tried this VMware KB: Alarms about the host connection state changing from green to red frequently occur

But latency isnt an issue

When I add the host to a production vCenter it adds without issue (OS 2008R2)

Im thinking its either a 2012 issue or because I used the simple installer something hasnt installed properly

0 Kudos
grefusa
Contributor
Contributor

I've the same issue nowadays, what did you do to resolve the problem???

The solutions they provide to you doesn't work too Smiley Sad

any idea??

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi ,

Assuming that you have updated your vCenter and ESXi both to 5.5 U3. As a workaround you need to enable SSLv3 on ESXi for all services. Enabling SSLv3 on ESXi will cause POODLE vulnerability.

With the vSphere 5.5 Update 3b release, the support for SSLv3 is disabled by default for all services and ports as a protection against the POODLE vulnerability.

VMware does not recommend re-enabling SSLv3, however, you can manually re-enable the SSLv3 by following the steps in the Solution section..

Important: When enabling SSLv3, you must enable the SSLv3 protocol for all the ports and services.

VMware KB: Enabling SSLv3 protocol on vSphere 5.5

Might help...

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
Fitz_82
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure I follow.

Even if I update vCenter there's no guarantee I can connect back to this host and on top of that I'm now vulnerable to POODLE.

I must have missed something.  Please help, Thanks

0 Kudos
Silva_BR
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I faced the same problem, but my lack of attention I ignored a warning from the download screen refresh, following note:

Important Note for known issues with vSphere 5.5 Update 3b

vCenter Server will not be able to manage ESXi 5.5 Update 3b, if you update ESXi before updating vCenter Server to version 5.5 Update 3b. For more information, see the KB article linked below. KB 2140304.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos