VMware Cloud Community
struijen
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5.1 upgrade

i am doing am upgrade drom vCenter 5.0 to 5.1. when i am installing the SSO it will almost compleate the install then it will return an error. it tells me that "The Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition installer returned error code '2227047362' " i am not able to get past this error. any one else run into this error if so what did you try to correct the problem. any ideas would be greatly appricated. i am installing this on a Winows 2008 r2 Server as well.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you restarted the server and run the installer again?

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
struijen
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i have tried a restart of the server and it still comes up with the same error.

0 Kudos
wgs_it
Contributor
Contributor

I had this error.  But was able to work past it.

Uninstalling SQL 2008 Express (all components) and then DELETING the SQL 2008 folders under c:\program files\.. and c:\program files (x86)... did the trick.

0 Kudos
gbhorne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have you installed .net framework 3.5 or higher?

VCP 5.1, CASP, SSSE, CCDA
0 Kudos
wgs_it
Contributor
Contributor

No need to do anything manually out of the VMware wizard.  As I said, the trick for me was uninstalling SQL 2008 Express completely, then DELETING the vestigial components thereof from disk and re-running the install.  I am running Windows 2008 R2, btw.

0 Kudos
Cloud2011
Contributor
Contributor

You may try following this:

Steps in Order

Estimated Time Completion

Check if the vCenter Server is in previous version

Verify vCenter Server meets the hardware and software requirements

Backing up your vCenter Server, View Composer, View Events, Update Manager databases

Backup SSL certificates

Backup vpxd.cfg file

Take a snaphot of the vCenter Server VM after the View upgrade

Stop the VMware VirtualCenter Server service

Update the DNS

Install the vCenter Server Upgrade to new version

TOTAL

1 hour and 35 mins

Sources for Minimum and Software Requirements refer to http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200386...

Follow the steps below on how to check the vCenter Server version:

1. Access the vCenter Server Guest OS and open a Command prompt.
  2. Locate the installation folder of vCenter Server and open a command prompt.

Run this command: cd <vCenter Server installation folder> vpxd.exe -v

1. Validate if the build number is the Build Number of the expected version.

sample: vCenter Server 5.0 Build number sample: vCenter Server 5.0|Build  455964

Backup Data Base steps:

1. Open MS SQL 2005 Express. Right-click your database, Task – Click Back Up.
  2. Then select type and add the path and filename of the backup.
  3. After clicking the last OK, it should proceed with the backup and notify you if it succeed or failed.

Backup SSL and vpxd.cfg:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter.
  2. Look for the SSL folder. Copy the folder and save a copy to your backup folder.

Note: You have to verify if there are View components in your vCenter. A different procedure is followed.

happy_valdez
0 Kudos
ictogn
Contributor
Contributor

Error 2227047362: Your computer needs to be restarted. This situation can occur where other software or updates have been installed or uninstalled and required the computer to be restarted by the install or uninstall actually completed. SQL Server will not install on a computer that is waiting to be restarted from earlier install or uninstall activity. The solution is to reboot the computer, then do the installation.

If a reboot doens't help, have a look at this regkey:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc960241.aspx

Deleting the regkey solved my problem(s)

0 Kudos