VMware Cloud Community
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCenter 4.1 svMotion Requirements and Migration Questions

vCenter 4.1 with 4.1 hosts...

1.) Can you svmotion a VM from FC to Local storage (cold is okay)?

2.) Can you svmotion from and FC LUN to a different hosts local storage (cold is okay)?

3.) Does svMotion happen over the vMotion enabled port group or management network?

- Any comments on a network-based V2V solution that is faster than VMWare Converter?

- Anyone know an inter-array VAAI replicator (VMAX----->VMAXe?)

Thanks!

Dennis

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vMario156
Expert
Expert

1). Yes, you can do this without anydowntime

2). Same as 1), but you need to perform a vMotion first to the target host (which owns the local storage)

3). I am not 100% sure, but I think it´s not using the vMotion vmkernel port. If I remember correct i have used svMotion even without vMotion configured.

Regards,

Mario

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks!  We are thinking the same here then.  It's really hard to find answers to these questions via online documentation.  Looks like I'll have to dig out the old vSphere 4.0 ICM books!

The migrator questions are still open if anyone has advice.  There is still a KB article that addresses using "cp" and the like to do straight ESX->ESX copies, but it doesn't specifically discuss ESXi.  Do you think I'd benefit using cp host-to-host versus svMotion, given the "concurrent svMotion per host / datastore" limitations?

I basically need to find the fastest method to get VM's from one SAN to another (cannot copy the LUN, the VM's are in a comingled datacenter.)

0 Kudos