VMware Cloud Community
N33D1NF0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter + 3 hosts - root - cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password

Hi Guys,

This is the last attempt to sort this issue the nice way.

We have 3 hosts running VMware essentials 5.5 together with Veeam B&R (recently upgraded to v9)

I'm using vCenter appliance hosted in one of the ESXI hosts. Joined domain - but no SSO or AD authentication was ever setup to it.

Since yesterday I'm unable to login to non of the machines with my local root password - neither vCenter or ESXI. I'm using almost the same password for the hosts and vCenter (except the vCenter last character which is special) passwords haven't been changed for 400 days. ( I remember in the past I have issue with my account lockout and I had to do something in vCenter to disable it - so I guess that was done)

I'm keep on getting "cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password" when I try to login through vSphere client, web browser, SSH or the physical server.

Funny though my Veeam server is talking to vCenter like nothing happened. In Veeam account management shows 400 days since last root password change. Also i'm able to rescan vCenter successfully. If I apply another user credentials from the credentials manager in Veeam it rejects them. So somehow Veeam still talks to vCenter.....

It's just amazingly weird that both separate passwords for vCenter and ESXI are no longer working......

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
N33D1NF0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Apparently was my old brain!

Just enter the password again with slight difference and it worked. @

View solution in original post

0 Kudos