VMware Cloud Community
Fjorko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vApp Shut Down Action - not working ?

Hi All

I have a vApp container configured with two VM's in separate groups. I have on each VM configured ( under Start Order TAB ) the startup and shutdown actions. For shutdown, I have each on "Guest Shutdown" in order for it to gracefully shut down the VM. However, it appears that the VM's are simply powered down and the "Shutdown Guest" option is simply ignored. I even tried all the other options ( Suspend, None etc ) but when I shut down the vApp - the VM's just power down.

Start Up works perfectly however.

What throws me a bit, is the fact that when I right click the vApp to select "Shut Down" - it warns me that I need to shut down my guests FIRST before I shut down the vApp. Why is this ? I thought it was supposed to handle the startup and shutdown order based on the group order and delays etc ?

I have to add that all this is running in a Vsphere 4.0 LAB ( No Vsphere Updates applied yet )

Any help with this is much appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

You have to use the "Power Off" option instead of "Shutdown" in the vApp. The "Power Off" option shuts down the VM according to your settings.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

You have to use the "Power Off" option instead of "Shutdown" in the vApp. The "Power Off" option shuts down the VM according to your settings.

Regards / Saludos

-

VMware VCP-410

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Fjorko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I tried that, but it does the same thing. I will check again just to make sure. Will report back.

Thanks !

0 Kudos
Fjorko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah...you were 100% correct ! Power Off instead of Shut Down did the trick ! Although I'm sure I tried that and it didn't work ! LOL !

Thanks so much !

Cheers !

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Great!!

You're welcome 😃

Regards / Saludos

-

VMware VCP-410

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

0 Kudos
ellisdp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for this post, I tripped over the same thing and couldn't understand why it was not working.

I think the operation of these two options is very confusing - you would have expected "shut down" to perform the controlled shut down, and "power off" the immediate power off - as it does for individual virtual machines!