VMware Cloud Community
TedH256
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

utility to document ESXi server config?

I know we can use command line tools following this kb VMware KB: Backing up and restoring ESXi configuration using the vSphere Command-Line Interface and ...

to backup and restore a host configuration.

But what I'm looking for is a way to "capture" the current config of a particular server, so that I can use that config as the starting point for building host config documentation. The config bundle that is created by running the commands from above creates a bunch of text and other files that I believe hold all the configuration, but they do not provide a way to look through the config, or to copy/paste easily the various elements.

Anyone know of a free util that will do something like what I am looking for?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi TedH256,

This one is easy...  RVTools all the way!  It's a simple, lightweight windows install that you just point to your vCenter (or VMhost), then save the report to Excel.  It creates tabs for everything you can imagine including vmkernel networking.  That should be all you need.  Still hungry?  Fire up PowerCLI and use vCheck, CDP Reports, and NIC Firmware.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Shrikant_Gavhan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ted,

You can try host profile for your esxi.

Thanks and Regards,

Shrikant Gavhane

Thanks and Regards, Shrikant Gavhane
0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi TedH256,

This one is easy...  RVTools all the way!  It's a simple, lightweight windows install that you just point to your vCenter (or VMhost), then save the report to Excel.  It creates tabs for everything you can imagine including vmkernel networking.  That should be all you need.  Still hungry?  Fire up PowerCLI and use vCheck, CDP Reports, and NIC Firmware.

0 Kudos