VMware Cloud Community
bestgo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

use serial port via network issue

hi,

i setup a virtual host in my esxi 5, add a serial port use network,  act as server, port uri is telnet://192.168.1.111:1234. when i try to telnet to this port, no response got from the server, but this way works with my esxi 4.1 server. so i want to know what's the difference between two versions ?

-thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Welcome to the community

make sure if the esxi firewall is configured to allow serial port communication of the virtual machine.

If you add or configure a serial port that is backed by a remote network connection, ESXi firewall settings can prevent transmissions.

Before you connect network-backed virtual serial ports, you must add one of the following firewall rule sets to prevent the firewall from blocking communication:

VM serial port connected to vSPC. Use to connect the serial port output through a network with the Use virtual serial port concentrator option enabled to allow only outgoing communication from the host.

VM serial port connected over network. Use to connect the serial port output through a network without the virtual serial port concentrator

Refer the below link:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc_50/GUID-A779C84D-...

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Welcome to the community

make sure if the esxi firewall is configured to allow serial port communication of the virtual machine.

If you add or configure a serial port that is backed by a remote network connection, ESXi firewall settings can prevent transmissions.

Before you connect network-backed virtual serial ports, you must add one of the following firewall rule sets to prevent the firewall from blocking communication:

VM serial port connected to vSPC. Use to connect the serial port output through a network with the Use virtual serial port concentrator option enabled to allow only outgoing communication from the host.

VM serial port connected over network. Use to connect the serial port output through a network without the virtual serial port concentrator

Refer the below link:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc_50/GUID-A779C84D-...

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
bestgo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi, got it, thanks.

0 Kudos
Maniax_ro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

I have a very simillar problem as follows :

VM IP : 172.17.1.5

ESX HOST IP : 172.17.0.78

1. VM set in my esxi 5.1

2. added serial port

3. Use Network > Act as server, port uri is telnet://172.17.1.5:1234

4. ESXi firewall rule is enabled for Serial over Network

When I try to connect with telnet to vm ip or to esx host ip it does not work, and i can't find any examples anywhere...

I shoud try to telnet into the esxi host into vmk0 ( Management network ) requesting the specific port and that the esxi should forward the request to the apropriate vm. ? or I should telnet directly to the vm ip:port

What should be entered in the Server URI ? the ip adress of the vm or the ip adress of the esx host ( vmk0 ip ) ?

0 Kudos