VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

use case of Datastore Cluster without Storage DRS?

Can Anyone please tell me the use case of Datastore Cluster without Storage DRS?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Basically none,

The only one that might be helpfull is the resource aggregation of datastores into a datastore cluster. But this is resource aggregation at its most rudimentary form. When creating a virtual machine and use a datastore cluster as destination, you still need to select the datastore that will store the virtual machine.

Storage DRS disabled =

No initial placement calculation

No space load balancing

No I/O load balancing

No VMDK affinity rules

No maintenance mode

Therefor a datastore cluster without storage DRS enabled is some sort of a datastore folder.

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series

View solution in original post

2 Replies
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Basically none,

The only one that might be helpfull is the resource aggregation of datastores into a datastore cluster. But this is resource aggregation at its most rudimentary form. When creating a virtual machine and use a datastore cluster as destination, you still need to select the datastore that will store the virtual machine.

Storage DRS disabled =

No initial placement calculation

No space load balancing

No I/O load balancing

No VMDK affinity rules

No maintenance mode

Therefor a datastore cluster without storage DRS enabled is some sort of a datastore folder.

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks frankdenneman

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos