VMware Cloud Community
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

upgraded to update 1 displays loopback on certain VMs

We upgraded a few hosts yesterday from 4.1 to 5.0 update 1.  After the update of all the vmware tools on the machines, a few VMs show up as loopback addresses inside of VSphere client however the actual machines have network ability and the proper ip addresses.  We've tried a few things such as removing and readding a new network adapter, changing the adapter type.  Just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Does this happen on different guest OS's or on a specific one (which one)?

André

0 Kudos
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

It happens on specific ones but almost all the servers are Windows Server 2008 R2, only thing that sets them apart is that it's generally Exchange servers that are doing this.  I just find it odd, it happened on a handful of servers and not all of them.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This is more a guess. Do the Exchange servers have a loopback adapter configured? Maybe it's the binding order which determines which IP address is shown in the summary tab!? You may want to compare the network settings of the servers in question with other ones to find out what's different. To start with open the network adapter settings (ncpa.cpl), hit ALT (to display the menu) and select "Advanced" -> "Advanced Settings" from the menu.

André

0 Kudos
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I looked at a few things and can't really see the difference.  None of the servers have a loopback adapter configured.  Again everything was working 100% with 4.1.  Another thing odd is if I reboot my vcenter server, when it comes back up, those servers that are listed as having a loopback display the proper ip for about 15 minutes then they go back to showing a loopback.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Out of curiosity. Is it the same when you connect to one of the ESXi hosts directly, instead of vCenter?

André

0 Kudos
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

When I connect directly the issue is still present.

0 Kudos