VMware Cloud Community
lethargos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

upgrade simple vmdk disks to FCD

Hello,

I would like to find a way to create empty FCD (first class disks), which I understand to be better virtual disks than simple vmdks, but they're still basically vmdks.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to do that yet. I'm using vSphere 6.7.0.54000.

My use case is: I'm using the in-tree vsphere-csi which uses FCD and I want to pre-provision the disks, meaning, instead of creating dynamic disks, I want to create disks with normal names. vsphere-csi seems to require a volumeHandle now to reference these disks, the path doesn't work anymore. And it is my understanding that volumeHandles are part of these FCD.

Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lethargos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In the meantime I've discovered the following. I can create the vmdk on the esxi node itself:

vmkfstools -c 2048m -d thin /vmfs/volumes/datastorekubedata/omnivols/lebensmude.vmdk

And then I can promote the disk using govc (https://github.com/vmware/govmomi/blob/main/govc/USAGE.md) through the register method:

govc disk.register -ds datastorekubedata omnivols/lebensmude.vmdk lebensmude

What I don't like about this is that I have to use two different methods completely. Unfortunately I haven't been able to create a simple vmdk through govc. It creates FCDs from the very beginning, so that means a random name.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lethargos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here (https://developer.vmware.com/docs/11750/virtual-disk-development-kit-programming-guide/GUID-3FB348EE...) I see that you can promote a disk using the "RegisterDisk" directive. I'm currently using powerCLI to make these changes. Any ideas if I can do it through powerCLI directly?

How would I be able to do it otherwise?

The reason why I'm interesting I'm interested in promoting and normal disk (vmdk) instead of creating a new FCD is that the FCD creates a random file name and it doesn't seem possible to move it or rename it, because the filename itself probably is a reference in the database, if I understand correctly. Whereas with a vmdk I could create the file wherever I wanted to and then so I could keep the custom name.

0 Kudos
lethargos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In the meantime I've discovered the following. I can create the vmdk on the esxi node itself:

vmkfstools -c 2048m -d thin /vmfs/volumes/datastorekubedata/omnivols/lebensmude.vmdk

And then I can promote the disk using govc (https://github.com/vmware/govmomi/blob/main/govc/USAGE.md) through the register method:

govc disk.register -ds datastorekubedata omnivols/lebensmude.vmdk lebensmude

What I don't like about this is that I have to use two different methods completely. Unfortunately I haven't been able to create a simple vmdk through govc. It creates FCDs from the very beginning, so that means a random name.

0 Kudos