komanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

update manager problems (after upgrade from 4.1u2 to 5.0u1)

Hello,

I am trying to resolve a few problems with update manager after I upgraded fro vSpehre 4.1u2 to 50.u1 (both vCenter and all my hosts). I am using scripts to see if all virtual machines have recent vmware tools:

Get-Inventory -Name vmname | Scan-Inventory -UpdateType VmToolsUpgrade

$status = Get-Compliance -Entity vmname -Detailed

foreach ($i in $status) {

if ($i.Status -ne "Compliant") {

}

}

For some of my virtual machines it ends up with the error:

Get-Compliance     Requested value 'guestToolsSupportedOld' was not found.

or

Get-Compliance     Requested value 'guestToolsSupportedNew' was not found.

these values seem to be stored in Summary.Guest.ToolsVersionStatus2 of the VIObject instance of the virtual machine.

1. Why are these values not accepted by Get-Compliance cmdlet ?

2. Why do I get guestToolsSupportedNew for some of my virtual machines when they all (and many others showing guestToolsCurrent) were installed from the same version and the same way on the fully patched ESXi 5 host ?

Scanning machines manually via vCenter client GUI throws no errors and seems to be happy with vmware tools version.

Thank you in advance,

David

0 Kudos
3 Replies
komanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got a response via e-mail, which is not visible here, at least for me. It states Get-Inventory changed. But this command works for me for all VMs. The problem is with Get-Compliance which works fine for all my VMs with the guestToolsCurrent value but for none of them having guestToolsSupportedOld or guestToolsSupportedNew values.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, I had tried on a server and found that it is also 4.1 while I should have tried on 5.0.. Anyways, the command works fine with 5.0 also

0 Kudos
komanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you. I just managed to narrow it down to the "-Detailed" switch of Get-Compliance cmdlet. If I leave this switch out, everything works, except I have no detailed information. I think I can live with it, but if somebody knows the full resolution, it would be appreciated.

0 Kudos