VMware Cloud Community
gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

update manager issue for esx and esxi 4.1

I have datacenter contains both esx 4.1 and esxi 4.1 . Could you please tell me what version of update manager i need that can cover both esx 4.1 and esxi 4.1 . Do i need database server to store update manager data or just download the plugin and configure it for datacenter . Please guide me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hmus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you have to create seperate database for VUM. Most of the patches will require a reboot after the install

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
fbonez
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You need at least the same version of the vCenter server. vCenter 4.1 update 1 or 4.1 update 2 ...

Update Manager server need a DB that could be SQL Express or Standard, in the same machine or in your DB server.

Plugin is only for administration from vSphere client.

Here you can find the manual for installation and configuration http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf

-- If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". | @fbonez | www.thevirtualway.it
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If both ESX and ESXi are running the same version you will need the matching version of Update Manager and yes Update Manager will need its own database and can run on the same database server where you vCenter Database is hoursed - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I need to know if update manager can use vcenter's odbc DSN etc to connect with database or need to create seperate ODBC DSN for updatemanager to connect with database. Do i need make any special modification in database for updatmanager other than DSN .   Internet is not working on the vcenter ,In that case what are my options to make update manager work properly . Please guie me . thanks in advance .

0 Kudos
fbonez
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vCenter 4.1 requires ODBC DSN 64bit. Update Manager a 32 bit DSN

You can locate the 32 bit ODBC here, C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe

Internet connection is required to download patch definition by the Update Manager.

-- If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". | @fbonez | www.thevirtualway.it
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You would need a 32 bit DSN for update manager.

Internet is not working on the vcenter ,In that case what are my options to make update manager work properly

In this case you can download the patches manually from patch portal and import the patches manually to update manager

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

do I need to make seperate database and fileds for update manager with DSN or it can use vcenter database. can i just filter patches in which VM or HOST REBOOT is not required .

0 Kudos
hmus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you have to create seperate database for VUM. Most of the patches will require a reboot after the install

0 Kudos
gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have well HA and DRS setup for my PRODUCTION cluster . Will i have to put hosts in the maintenance mode manually or update manager will put them in maintenance mode by itself for patching hosts. I am trying to avoid host reboots ..but its not possible..?  what if 2 hosts reboot at the same time ., Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Update Manager will  move the VMs off of the host and take care of any reboots and the like -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I f i upgrade my vcenter from ver 4 to ver 5 . Then i need to upgrade my update manager too from ver 4 to ver 5. But my questions is does update manager 5 covers  hosts esxi 4.1 ,  esx 4.1 etc too along with esx 5  in the datacenter .

0 Kudos