VMware Cloud Community
joho003
Contributor
Contributor

unused/old ESXi 3.5 license wanted

Hi,

i'm a student and want to install ESXi 3.5 update 5 on a old 32-bit dell server to learn and get experience in vmware-software and virtualisation.

Unfortunately there is no way to get a free lincense from vmware, because the 3.5 has reached end of availability.

VMWare-Support answered.

"I would like to inform you that as informed in earlier email that ESX 4.X and prior versions have already reached end of availability on 2013/08/15. Hence, the system can no longer issue license for ESX 3.5.0 Update_5."

I hope that anybody of you has such an old, free and not more used license for EXSi 3.5 Update2 or greater.

I would be very pleased, if you could make the lisence key available to me.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Tags (1)
14 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - My suggestion is if you have 64 bit desktop/laptop install VMware Player and run a free license of vSphere ESXi nested  - there are huge differences between ESX/ESXi 3 and ESXi 5/ESXi5.5 -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
EMILY32
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Please get below link and downlaod suitbale one

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100648...

0 Kudos
joho003
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Emily32,

thanks for the answer. I followed the link and it ended in "VMware vSphere Hypervisor 4.1" download center but not in the ESXi 3.5 download/lincense website". So the link didn't work for me. Me last chance is that someone has an free old not more used lisence, which i can get it for free.

Best regards

joe

0 Kudos
Friendbg
Contributor
Contributor

Dear vmware community, I have old dell poweredge 2650 which is 32 bit, so my only chance to have vmware is to install ESX 3.5. Ok I install it but I don't have luck with license key for it. I saw that support for ESX 3.5 is closed in 2008 year, so my chance is someone to give me free key so I can use this server.

Thanks and all the best

0 Kudos
BoneTrader
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dude, i really don´t get the point of getting hung up on VI 3.5, like weinstein5 said -> use you/an old notebook for it.

You can use the new version for testing without any licence and you can use all features

Bone

0 Kudos
Friendbg
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
BoneTrader
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@ Friendbg,

i´m well aware of what a poweredge 2650 is Smiley Wink -> and as for what i see it isn´t supported on the HCL wich means that you won´t get it up an running

DELLHCL.JPG

0 Kudos
techareuk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joe (joho003), did you ever get this resolved?

I am in the same position and need esxi3.5u2 with a free key, if anyone can help?

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
joho0003
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

no i founded no solution for this issue.

regards

Joe

0 Kudos
gljsh
Contributor
Contributor

Hey so i have been having the same dilemma with esx 3.5, my solution that I am going to try is putting lubuntu on the server and running virtualbox on top of that, this would work on a 32 bit system.  hope this is semi helpful.

0 Kudos
Friendbg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Here is a valid license for vmware esxi 3.5

<deleted>

I hope it will work on your servers. It works fine on mine.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Darius Davis: As much as I sympathize with the situation, it's not appropriate to post license keys here in the public Communities.

0 Kudos
techareuk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks gljsh, I was thinking about that route but i'm more familure  with VM

Thanks Friendbg, we are all being pushed into not creating un necessary waste and maybe this will give an old server a new lease of life instead of polluting the planet in a landfill!! 🙂

p.s

im supprised you upset VMares Darius by posting the key when VMware have completely removed all traces of this old product and have no interest in it?

Come on VMware its not like this action would cost you a possible sale or anything, i'm sure people needing to use this old version of ESXi will only do so because they have absolutely no other choice, indeed it was my intention to use it to demonstrate to a reluctant person who would not take advice of the benefits of VM in the hope that it would persuade them to upgrade their hardware and use the current hypervisor in the future once they see ESXi in action!

***I have a suggestion for VMWare,

Its obvious that there is still a need to use 32bit versions of ESXi and it would no doubt aid demonstration purposes as in my case to demonstrate the benefits of VMware products to those who are reluctant to spend on upgrading hardware to suit 64bit platforms thus creating potential new future customers of VMware products.

Take the old keys that are known such as Freindbg's and include them on VMwares site as public keys, users would still have to register its use and a clear statement could be shown stating absolutely no support is offered but at least then VMWare retains a 32bit offering??

0 Kudos
Conti93
Contributor
Contributor

Have a look here: http://www.mtsweb.net/ftp/utils/vmware/ESXi_3-5_32Bit.pdf

Yep, it's there: HH09H-6A015-N6000-0RCY6-CPZQH :smileygrin:
Best regards from Italy
Mattia

tom_e_reynolds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, it's there: HH09H-6A015-N6000-0RCY6-CPZQH

This worked for us today.  Rebooted a very very old core at a client site. 
Thank You! 

0 Kudos